Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Never found that it really made a difference. Believe it or not the rear actually DOES expand when driven down the barrel. What you may have here is a solution to a non-existant problem with expanding the rear cavity.
Like all things maybe you will discover something that we are not aware of. If that be the case have at it and let us know.

I have found that heavier wad petals and a filled rear cavity
(that evacuates within 10 yds) seems to be beneficial.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Neophyte has it together. The Lyman flared base does upset to fill the bore when the big light comes on.
But experiment away by all means.
I often thought the Lyman 525 slug should have a .730 driving band at front and rear anyway.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i noted in the retreived red wads that they look like they wrinkle half way up and many times tear a petal off. i believe that with a band the same size front and back it will stabilize the wad so it will not tend to wrinkle. I shoot a ithaca ds2.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
As I have said before this is the load that has performed exceptionally well for me in ALL my rifled shotguns. By now this combination has been posted so often that it sounds to me as if it was a scratched record.

Knurl the driving bands (Corbin tool) or run them over a coarse file.
Wipe the rear cavity with a cloth with Pledge (light coat) and flood the cavity with SIG finishing Resin (Available at a hobby store) . LET IT SET UP HARD-Overnight. These will pop out when the slug exits the wad.
AA WADS (The Yellow ones) (Dusted with Motor Mica)
55lbs wad /slug pressure
AA Hulls
Win 209 Primers
WSF 31.0 gr. (Winchester Super Field Powder

If you want a source for Lyman slugs as I have said before
try Jim Gardner of Gardner's Cache. (Buy at least a 100) You will be surprized how much more you will shoot and how fast you will go thru them. Tell'em Fritz sent you. Jim will help you out.

http://gardnerscache.com/index.html

·
Registered
864 Posts
Yes even the hard cast slugs, flare out just enough, when you fire the slug. Actually this happens in the shell in the chamber. I hope you are using hard cast slugs, because the soft slugs deform enough to cause high chamber pressures, and can be very inaccuate.

Shooting a slug into a large box of clothing, packed very tight, can help you recover the slug in very good condition. If the skirt is pushed out and forward .... The slug is to soft. The skirt should look the same as before you loaded it. But a dial calipers with show, that it did push out just enough, to grab the rifling in your barrel. The wad should show that it did grab rifling as well.

If you do fill a box full of clothes .... You may not want to use your wifes clothes. She may not appreciate having slug holes in the @ss of her blue jeans :oops: Although, jean material, will stop a slug better than her panties will :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.