Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am loading lyman sabot slugs, 12ga. , in AA win hulls, with 12ga. AA red wads, 35gr.sr 4756, fold crimp. the accuracy is good at 50yd. but 1out of 4 keyhole. Any one have any ideas on this situation? thanx little bill

·
Registered
493 Posts
Little Bill, are you shooting them from a rifled barrel or a smoothbore?
I load these in the old WinAA hulls with 25gr Herco and a WAA12F114 wad and get good results out to 100yds out of a rifled barreled Rem11-87 slug gun. I cast them myselfe using wheel weights. They shoot great and have good penetration.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I was thinking that too in terms of a rifled barrel vs. a smooth bore. I was surprised at the number of poeple that tried to shot sabots out of a smooth bore. The keyholing was present for every one. if you are shooting a rifled barrel, your slug/wad combo may be undersized for your bore.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am shooting a fully rifled bbl. I tried the Herco load, didn't give good acc'y. I am casting these myself, perhaps I will weight them and see if there are any voids in them. I use pure lead in casting slugs. I have seen ww slugs shatter on bone in deer,maybe not a bad thing! Deer didn't care!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.