Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fiocchi new orange unprimed 2.75" hulls.
Lyman hard cast (w.w.) 525 slugs.
Trap Commander wad. (great fit!)
Federal 209A primer.
45 grains Bluedot.
Distance: 50 yards.
Firearm: Ultra Slug Hunter.
Scope sight: Bushnell 3 X 9 Dawn to Dusk.
Bench rest.
30 degrees no wind.
For a first blush I'm impressed with this 5 shot group from the listed combination of components.
The group of five measured one and one quarter inch center to center.
Also pictured is a Lyman slug from wet sand at 50 yards and remants of the T.C. wad showing no blown skirt, no gas blow by.
The wad petals still sheared off and the few recovered petals showed good rifling impression.
Estimated muzzle velocity is about 1500 f.p.s. at an estimated 9500 kpsi.
This load is NOT found in any published loading data and is not a recommended load.
It is, however, plenty accurate at 50 yards with enough power to flatten any game animal on this side of the hemisphere. :D
It will be interesting to see what kind of performance I can get with this load when pushed to 50 grains Bludedot and the range increases to 75 and 125 yards.
Wonder if the slug will destabilize when it goes subsonic?

Thanks to all that have been such an encouragment and willingly shared information on loading the Lyman slug! :D :D

·
Registered
864 Posts
I like the looks of your 50 yard group :D But I can tell by looking at your picture of the recovered slug, that the slug was either to soft, or the chamber pressures were to high :? The slight deforming of the slug, will cause your group to open up at longer yardages.

The skirt of the slug pushed forward and out deforming the slug, and cutting your petals. Anything that deforms the back end of the slug, happens because of pressure behind the slug, and/or because the slug was to soft. Now just looking at the slug again .... It resembles my slugs when I was casting them with 50% wheel weight lead, and 50% plumbers lead. Did you cast these slugs yourself, and are they 100% wheel weights?

jeager106, I would like to send you 25 of my hard cast slugs, along with the 12C1 wads, if you are up for trying this again? I do see wad petals cut once in a while, with my loads as well, but not as bad as yours are. I guess let me know if you are up for more playing with this load :D

BTW, I am not going to send eveybody in this forum, 25 slugs and wads.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Can you send me 25 slugs"????
Silly boy! Of COURSE you can. :D
This is the last seek-end of regular s.g. season, it's snowing so bad you can't see 5 feet, I got firewood for 2 months, a genny, water, food for 2 months, enough reloading chores for TWO YEARS!.
Check 'yer PMs.
Keep in mind this slug hit wet sand.
That was frozen into a rock like sandstone.
But you could be right.
The 252s are NOT all w.w. I think they are a mix of lead and w.w.
I think OLD AMMO sent me thos but I'm getting feeble in me old age.
Were it you old ammo?
Thank you!
There are a few really great guys here ain't there?

·
Registered
864 Posts
jeager106, I think you were one of them guys doubting the 250 yard 3 inch group, with the 3.5's. So I just want you to try them yourself, possibly in the 3 inch load at least. I think you might be amazed at the results, with hard cast slugs.

Now I better check my PM's :D

·
Registered
864 Posts
Well if old ammo sent jeager106 hard slugs, then maybe it is the forcing cone cutting the wad petals. Maybe jeager106 has a tight cone :?

I will send jeager106 the slugs and wads I have, and let him try them, and go from there :D

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
old ammo said:
Yes jeager, it was me that sent you the slugs.
They were cast with 100% wheel weights.
Hi old ammo! :D
Finally got around to trying those slugs ya sent me.
Wish I had done it months ago and I could have saved a lot of money on those stupid sabot thingy's. :roll: :roll:

wiley: I still think 3" groups at 250 yards is an outragious claim.
There is a lot of air between my 50 yard 1.25" groups and 3" at 250 yards.
Still, it's an intertaining thought ain't it? :wink:
Sure are a lot a decent people on this forum ain't there? {hs# {hs#

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hey jeager106,

You saw your group at 50 yards, and that was your first time out with those slugs. The USH has a sweet trigger, and I bet, as you build confidence with the lyman slugs (and don't flinch :shock: ), that you can shoot the same group at 100 yards, on a good day.

The guy that shot the 3 inch group at 250, is a [email protected] good shooter most of the time. He has been shooting that same gun, for as long as I have been loading these sabots. At 100 yards he can keep all the slug holes touching, with a 3 shot group. Maybe he got one of the better guns Mossberg ever made .... I don't know, but he sure can shoot with it. Not just anybody can do such things. I know my gun shoots better than I can shoot it. I just try to do the best I can. If I have a fine aiming point I shoot better. A 1 inch dot at 100, with make me shoot better than if I was shooting at a 3 inch dot, at 100 yards. If I want a really fine target, I use the corner of a piece of paper, and put the corner, right in the corner of my crosshairs. That usually gives me the tightest group.

There are a bunch of people here, that are very helpful .... and there are a few here that still want and need all the help we can give them, and I mean that in a good way :D Thats why I am glad this forum is here. We can all help, or be helped, from people that have learned from experience :)

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hey jeager,

The coffee must be kickin in here, cause I am just a thinkin :shock:

After you get done playing with the 3 inch loads, it might be time for some gun smithing on your USH :shock: Do I have you scared yet? Bore that gun out to accept the 3.5 shell, with a short forcing cone. Then get ready for a big push from the 3.5 inch slug load :shock: :D

Then if you ever get the 3 inch group, at the far 250 yard target, there won't be a stray cat safe yardage either :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
864 Posts
coffee must be affecting my typing as well, cause the end of my last sentence was supposed to read as "there won't be a stray cat safe at that yardage either :shock: :lol: "

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Egads! 3.5" in the USH?
Sounds like a killer on both ends.
By the way. A stray cat ain't safe around here at any yardage! :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hey jeager,

Actually I think the 3 inch load recoils harder than the 3.5 inch loads. Something about burning powder, all the way out the end of the barrel, seems not to recoil as hard. Also with the USH weight, it should be just one big push. So just hang on, and enjoy the ride :shock:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts