Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question with the M2000. . .I sold it to a buddy and he has had some cycling problems. The second shell is moving back, but is not getting lifted to be loaded. . .anyone had this problem?

I am guessing something with the trigger assembly is broke?

·
Registered
585 Posts
It probably needs to be cleaned and re-oiled.

I've found that Hoppe's OIL works best - things like Break-Free tend to make it stick.

However, since I switched to real gun oil, I haven't had a hiccup in thousands of rounds.

Also, if the gun is relatively new, you will have some feeding problems in the first few hundred rounds. A box or two of 3" magnums is the recommended break-in - especially if you're going to shoot light loads. I've used mine exclusively for sporting clays and shot nothing but target loads. The problem you describe DID happen to me a few times when I just started shooting the gun, but they went away.

If you tap on the elevator with your finger (with the hand that's on the forearm, right next to it), the gun will continue to load - sometimes you can do that and still break the target.

You also have to make sure you oil all the right places.

for me:

1) the ring that goes around the magazine tube and compresses the recoil spring: oil when the bolt is locked open, then cycle a few times

2) the action bars where they slide into the receiver: oil when the bolt is locked upen, then cycle a few times

3) remove the trigger assembly - spray down with Break-Free, clean, and OIL.

I found that especially when the gun is new, it's important to clean and oil it after ever shoot. Now...it doesn't matter. Proper break-in seems to make a lot of difference with this particular gun.

However, you have the older model (no orange bead, no ramped rib) then there may very well be something wrong with it....those are the older design, and they have A LOT of reliability problems - the "new" 2000's don't have these problems.

·
Registered
585 Posts
omega58 said:
This gun has a red bead, so it is a new one or old one?
probably new. I believe the "old" ones have a brass bead and there is no "ramp" on the rib at the receiver end.

probably just sticky from not having all the packing grease cleaned out of the mechanism if you haven't shot it much. Took me about 800 - 1000 rounds, with cleaning every 100 or so before it became reliable, but now i can shoot 2 rounds of SC in a day and I don't even THINK about jams.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, thanks. . .he is using mag loads shooting ducks when this is happening too. . . 3" Blackcloud. I will have him bring it over and I'll take a look at it. . .it's his first auto.

·
Registered
585 Posts
omega58 said:
OK, thanks. . .he is using mag loads shooting ducks when this is happening too. . . 3" Blackcloud. I will have him bring it over and I'll take a look at it. . .it's his first auto.
well, Stoeger is very good with customer service and repairs if it comes to that, but if it's not jamming EVERY time, it's probably just not broken in or gunked up somewhere.

Also, sometimes shells get hung on the magazine interrupter (the part at the end of the magazine tube that only allows one round to come out at a time) - so make sure that's clean.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
I agree with blarg's first post-this shotgun needs to be very well cleaned when new before firing, and have the hell oiled out of it during break-in, IMO. I use mine "wet", pretty heavily oiled, with Hoppe's or Rem Oil, and it has never malfunctioned. I also ran the bolt back and forth manually a high number of times in the living room after the initial cleaning-oiling. These guns need breaking in to get things smoothed out. After all, they are SO inexpensive! Also they are an absolute breeze to take apart and put back together. They have very few parts. I really appreciate that in a firearm.

·
Registered
585 Posts
yeah, I did a lof of manual cycling in the living room. That helps. I read somewhere that that would help...just put in a DVD or turn on a sporting event, and give it several hours.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Maybe I got lucky with my M2000, but I've only had one jam in about 1000 shots of using cheap 1 oz game loads to shoot skeet. Before I shot the first time, I stripped the gun, cleaned it, and re-oiled it. I checked for any burrs or abnormal tool marks...didn't see any. You should check your's too; there could be either of these causing reliability problems. Also, look for any abnormal wear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.