Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year for a stretch of a month and ahalf I was getting a few missfires out of my M2000 nearly everyday. Never failed, Id have a duck cupped up and committed, pull up on him and "CLICK". Nothing worse in the world! It would happen usually on the first or even second shot.

Even on some mornings when I had just cleaned the crap out of it the night before Id still get one missfire. My guess is that the rotating bolt head wasnt properly engaged all the way...either due to the recoil spring of the barrel extension being dirty idk. Ive heard about this happening to others...but does anybody know what the deal is?

So far, I haven't had a problem during Sept. Goose hunts so thats a relief. I just want to fix it and have full confidence in my gun when duck season comes around.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
The famous Benelli click. The gun just needs use so that the bolt head and barrel lugs mate. In the meantime, hit the charge handle with the palm of your hand before you fire it. Some of these guns need more break-in than others.

While you are watching TV, hand cycle the action a few hundred time. Don't dry fire it. Pull the charge handle back all the way and release it. Let it slam against the barrel lugs. Don't ride the charge handle.

With inertia action guns, a minor contact with a limb will pull it out of battery. When I get to my shooting point, I hit the charge handle with my hand to be sure gun is in battery.

Your gun needs shooting and hand cycling. When the bolt head and the barrel lugs mate properly, you shouldn't have any more trouble. These 2000s are good guns but there is little quality control at the factory. The buyer finishes the tune up and gets a good gun.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, that could be it. But I mean, I used it all last year shooting 3" mags to hunt with so it got broken in well, and the bolt seems to close properly when I let it slam shut or press the bolt release button so I guess I'm still not understanding why sometimes I get them, and other times I don't. I don't think it would be user error in this case. I am familiar with other Benelli autos and how easy it is to disengage the bolt head with the barrel ext., enough to not fire correctly.

I'll work on it this evening. Thanks

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
Give the gunsmiths at Stoeger a call at (800) 264-4962. One of them will help you with this problem. They are open from 9-5 weekdays, eastern time.

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
I hope so, too. I've never had one in our hunting club that I couldn't eventually get going. Fortunately, most of them don't ever give trouble except during break-in.

They are a very good gun for the money. My nephew has a couple of the high dollar Benellis. My 2000s hold their own against his on the hunt. I don't know how they would hold up with heavy duty shooting. Thus far, not a whimper out of either of them. My sons love them and keep them for hunting. They even let me borrow one of them sometimes.

Methinks that for the average guy that is not a competition shooter, the 2000 is as good as you can find in the economy gun market.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nate8123 said:
hey jonesy I see yah found it and Ev hope you can figure it out eventually.
Yup, lots of good info! Thanks guys! EV, i'll give them a call and talk to one of them. How is their customer service as far as sending out parts or replacing guns etc. Just curious, Ive heard some horror stories for sure

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
If under warranty, they are good about sending out parts.

If not, then I'd buy the parts from Numrich's or Mann and Sons. Much cheaper. However, if the gunsmiths give you advice that requires parts, I'd go ahead and have them send them. Otherwise, Buy them elsewhere. Numrich's is really fast. I've never ordered from Mann's.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Jonesy, I read where you said you cleaned the crap out of it, That might be half of your problems. Keep it out of the out house :lol: :lol: How are you lubing your gun after you clean it.???

I have found two problems with the bolt lever not staying in tight. One is that the detent ball is not free in the bolt. Put a drop or two of oil on the ball and work it in and out with a small screwdriver. You will be able to tell if it is snapping back good. The other problem I have found is that the lever is not going in far enough to let the ball drop into the grove like it should. To fix this take a small round jewelers file and just on the front side of the lever where the ball goes in, move the grove over a little towards the end of the lever. It wont take much. Tap the end of the lever a couple of time's after you put it in and you should not be able to pull it out with your fingers.

On my 2000 I can pull the bolt back as little as 1 in. and let it go and it will lock into the barrel every time. I just never, and I mean never have any problems with my 2000. I use it for all clay games. I think it is the best auto. made in Turkey!!!!
Dave

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
David Clark said:
Jonesy, I read where you said you cleaned the crap out of it, That might be half of your problems. Keep it out of the out house :lol: :lol: How are you lubing your gun after you clean it.???

I have found two problems with the bolt lever not staying in tight. One is that the detent ball is not free in the bolt. Put a drop or two of oil on the ball and work it in and out with a small screwdriver. You will be able to tell if it is snapping back good. The other problem I have found is that the lever is not going in far enough to let the ball drop into the grove like it should. To fix this take a small round jewelers file and just on the front side of the lever where the ball goes in, move the grove over a little towards the end of the lever. It wont take much. Tap the end of the lever a couple of time's after you put it in and you should not be able to pull it out with your fingers.

On my 2000 I can pull the bolt back as little as 1 in. and let it go and it will lock into the barrel every time. I just never, and I mean never have any problems with my 2000. I use it for all clay games. I think it is the best auto. made in Turkey!!!!
Dave
Thanks for the tips! As far as cleaning, I wipe everything down and blow it out w/ compressed air. I will then just verylightly use some Remoil on the recoil spring and action bars. When its all ready to be reassembled I wipe of the recoil spring to get any excess oil off.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
You didn't say anything about lubing the bolt head grove and the bottom of the bolt. I think your just shooting it to dry. Metal to metal needs LUBE/ I use Moroso Moly paste instead of grease with a water color paint brush, Put some on the bolt head lugs also.
Dave

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I did forget to mention that i oil the outside of the bolt/bolt head and then wipe off excess. I will make sure to do a more thorough job onthe bolt head lugs and barrel extension.

Im measuring the firing pin tonight to make sure its the proper length.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I measured parts that could cause my problem of light primer strikes.

Recoil spring proper length and spacer installed correctly:

Firing pin and spring:

Firing pin extends .102" past bolthead face. Firing pin spring was removed for easier measuring, and bolt head in 'locked' position.

My firing pin seems to be too short, or atleast doesn't extend far enough to get consistant firing. If anyof you could compare yours to mine, that would be great. Im probably going to order another pin and spring just to see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Nice pics, Wish I new how to post picks but this old gesser just don't get it. have some nice Dig. cameras too..

Well here is what i got. Pin past end of bolt head .120
Pin. 3.858
Bolt spring 1.070 This would determine how far out the firing pin would stick out with the bolt head pushed all the way back. You could grind off .020 off the end of the spring with out hurting a thing. You won't get the spring hot enough grinding that amount to hurt anything!!!

When you have the bolt apart this is a good time to check the detent ball that holds the lever in. You can see the ball in the hole on the left side of the bolt and see if it is free and how it aligns with the notch in the lever.

Let us know how you make out.
Dave

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
David, I'm an old geezer that learned Photobucket. It is a free program that is very easy to learn. Here is a photo of me and Tom Knapp. I'm the handsome one:

It really is an easy program to learn.

Good photos of the parts of the 2000, also. Looks like a headspacing problem. I hope that you can help our friend with his problem. We surely have tried.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
You are a Handsome old dude. I'll get a friend of mine thats sharp on the PC to come over some day and give me a hand.

What Jonesy should realize is that a .100 thousand's is way more then what is needed to fire the rd. On a non flouting firing pin like a bolt action rifle .050 to .060 is max. More then that will put a hole in the primmer. It maybe that the hammer plunger and spring need some lube. Hard to doe all this stuff on line!!! Also put some lube on the firing pin and spring.
Dave

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
David Clark said:
When you have the bolt apart this is a good time to check the detent ball that holds the lever in. You can see the ball in the hole on the left side of the bolt and see if it is free and how it aligns with the notch in the lever.

Let us know how you make out.
Dave
I checked it and it seemed to match up well. I put some Remoil on it and worked it in and out.

Since now you all have helped me elminate the possible causes, I think my problem is a hammer spring being faulty. Im going to shoot it soon and see if I can confirm that.

Thanks alot for the responses so far. Sorry about the repetitive questions, but the answers youve given have really helped!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Your more then welcome. Just hope it works out for you as these are a very good gun for the cost. I'm an old retired gunsmith and wouldn't have one if I thought they were junk.
Good shooting and God bless!!!
Dave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts