Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 acquaintances that own M4 Benelli assault shotguns. I frequently ask them about the guns and would love to shoot one if the opportunity presents itself. They own other Benelli's as well. When I ask them about the overall operation system on the M4, they cannot help but say it is by far the best system Benelli has in production. I have asked them what they would think if the gun was on a hunting platform. They both say they have no idea why that has not been explored or already put into production. I have tried to contact Benelli about research on this but no answer. I have 2 questions:

1. For the M4 owners/users, do you agree that the ARGO system would make a good hunting platform? I know Remington is already doing it with the VM and V3

2. Does anyone know if Benelli is exploring this? Can't understand why they have not tried to introduce this taking into account the Marines tested many other shotguns and found this system to be the most reliable many years ago. It is why it is there go to shotgun at this time.

Thanks
Woody

·
Registered
29,043 Posts
Whatever it is, it is too little and far too late. "Benelli" has ignored the M4 for consumers since 1998, preferring to ride the inertia train into the sunset.

At $1999 or $2299 MRSP, the M4 is too expensive, too heavy, and too ugly in its present short-barreled (18.5 in.) non-vent rib form to have much of a chance vs. the Remington VM and V3.

Ugly is relative, of course, as "Benelli" did go the ultra-ugly Vinci route instead, with the World's worst new O/U as a manufacturing crime bonus.

The short-barreled plastic-stocked M4 is an 8 lb. gun as is. The market for a 9 lb., 3 inch hunting gun is non-existent.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am sorry. Should have called it a home defense shotgun; I guess.

Randy, I appreciate your response. Not having shot the gun, I did not realize the weight. But, I am sure they could shave some weight with shortening the magazine. How much I doubt we will never know. Your point makes it fairly clear they probably have no intention of exploring that option.

·
Registered
13,110 Posts
The M4's Gas action goes against Benelli's claims of their superior Inertia action. It's the reason why you don't see a big push from them. Benelli got to submit the M4 after their M1 failed some tests early on. They had the contract before it started. As good as the M4 is, it's not any better that other good auto loading models currently available.

Most of the M4's weight is due to the stout sights, rail and crazy magazine setup.

The M4 would make a decent turkey/predator gun.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well, it appears Randy is not a fan of the Benelli M4 and how heavy the weapon is designed. After reviewing his YouTube videos and noting his age, I could understand how the M4 would be a tad heavy for him to handle and it may be a challenge for anyone with slight muscular atrophy. I own the M4 and many other brands of shotguns and I must say, no complaints from me with the M4. I do not think the gun is "heavy" and it performs to my liking. I placed a Briley extended Skeet 2 choke in mine and shoots Wolf slugs and Federal Flight control buckshot with excellent results. The M4 is built like a tank and is made for those who desire tactical applications in 3-gun, home defense, military-use, law enforcement, and just for plain fun. Yes, it's pricey, but who is complaining if you can afford it and you get what you pay for. No offense to Randy, but that is what makes gun shooting a nice past time. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and everyone enjoys different tastes in life with everything. Yes, I also shoot the Super Black Eagle 2 and it works great for hunting and busting a few clays once it's broke-in. However, the SBE2 and M4 are two different beasts. Peace out and shoot straight!

·
Registered
29,043 Posts
torybird said:
Well, it appears Randy is not a fan of the Benelli M4 and how heavy the weapon is designed.
You're completely missing the thread topic, that being the M4 in a hunting platform. It has nothing to do with being a fan, a fanboy, or liking an action, it is that no 18-1/2 in. barreled peep-sighted tactical or HD shotgun is a desirable hunting or clays gun. It has been eighteen years and the Benelli brand has ignored any development in that direction.

A 3 inch gun, the M4 cannot compete with the Versa Max and the far more attractively priced Remington V3 has a far more advanced gas action and already is available as a 26 in & 28 inch vent rib hunting shotgun.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Actually Randy, I did the read the post and understand in complete context what the original member was asking. When I heard you say the terms like "too ugly" sure sounds like you are not a fan or fanboy as you say. Worc made a nice point. Yes, in all fairness, the M4 could be a decent turkey and predator shotgun. All it takes is some practice and conditioning and anything is possible. Randy, you should call up Benelli on the phone and offer your opinion(s) on how they have fell to the wayside on some products and maybe steer them in the right path for us consumers. Peace out and shoot straight!

·
Registered
29,043 Posts
woodtam said:
I am sorry. Should have called it a home defense shotgun; I guess.

Randy, I appreciate your response. Not having shot the gun, I did not realize the weight. But, I am sure they could shave some weight with shortening the magazine. How much I doubt we will never know. Your point makes it fairly clear they probably have no intention of exploring that option.
My favorite of the Argo guns is (was) the MR-1.

It has apparently been dropped from general U.S. distribution.

·
Registered
29,043 Posts
woodtam said:
Can't understand why they have not tried to introduce this taking into account the Marines tested many other shotguns and found this system to be the most reliable many years ago. It is why it is there go to shotgun at this time.

Thanks
Woody
Your comment is not strictly true, for rubber balls and pellets that remain in military inventory must be cycled through the shotgun manually.

The problem is not when the gun is in hand, it is when the M1014 is slung to be used as a breaching tool (the primary application of a shotgun for people that do this type of thing professionally) the pistol grip sticks out and is more "catchy" than other types of breaching shotgun grips. This is a problem unique to the M1014 because the ****** spends way more time strapped to you than your carbine. When utilising certain entry techniques and when working in close confines, anything that protrudes from the shooter is a snag hazard, and elimination of snag hazards are a sign of a professional that knows what he is doing. The M1014 designers either did not ask any professionals about breaching concerns, or completely disregarded their input. This is proven by the gun's inability to function with the then standard breaching round (there are now breaching rounds that work with it, being designed specifically for it), lack of light attachments (a valuable thing on a breaching shotgun), snag points (pistol grip, charging handle), and incorrectly setup stock (most breaching shotguns have the stock completely removed and the grip is usually a more gentle curve and not as sticky as the M1014 grip).

There is a distinct amount to inertia required to cycle the weapon. I prove this every time I fire the gun without my shoulder behind the gun when in a breaching application. As far as breaching, keep in mind why we have breaching rounds. It is not because other types of rounds can't get through doors/door jambs, it is because of what the projectile(s) do once they get through. We are trying to limit the danger inside the room during the breach because we are dealing with a *surprise* locked door and will generally not be able to see who is inside the room, and it is generally a good idea to keep non-threats free of large holes. This is also what distraction devices are for- minimizing permanent damage to non-combatants.

The shotgun is NOT meant as a building clearing tool. The limited ammo capacity and extended reload time make it more of a hindrance than asset. Internet commandos can argue all they want about it, but those of us that do this for real do not.
For these and other reasons, the M1014 has not been able to achieve the reliability of the pump, the Mossberg 590 temains in service, and LE in general goes Remington 870.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Wonder why Benelli says the M4 is adopted by the USMC in their advertisements? I personally know a friend who used the same shotgun with Winchester Super-X buckshot loads (red hulls not green) when fighting in the Middle East. He told me specifically no 870's or 590's in his outfit. Maybe this experience was an exception to your statement Randy.

·
Registered
29,043 Posts
What are you taking about? In April 1999, at the completion of the testing, the XM1014 was redesignated the M1014 Joint Service Combat Shotgun (JSCS). Anyone with a Google bar can find the specifics.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hey, I am just sharing what he told me he used while he was deployed 4 years ago. Us armchair warriors do have access to Google bars, but that does not mean the internet is always correct. Kinda of amazing how a Google bar makes us geniuses with a simply stroke of a few keyboard buttons. Peace out buddy and shoot straight!

·
Registered
29,043 Posts
Only the Mossberg pump is designated as active service for all branches.

The 870 (870M), M1014, and the M26 Modular Accessory Shotgun System (MASS) are all used by some branches.

As far as manufacturer's claims that certain shotguns are currently in use by the U.S. Military, Mossberg, Benelli, and Remington all have legitimate claims to that.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I, obviously, am a huge fan of the Benelli M4 shotgun. Why?

The ARGO system really is awesome. It's one of the few gas systems that honestly IS self-cleaning. I know that line gets thrown out a lot, but in this case, it is true. Note that the weapon itself is not self-cleaning, and you do from time to time need to clean it, but it's very very reliable over many thousands of rounds before it becomes prudent to clean.

The weight is not bad at all. It's 7.8# with the factory magazine tube and spacer, but noone runs that. Most people run a Ti tube, which shaves 8oz off the weight. That drops it down to 7.3#. There is no way the rail and sights are what make it "super heavy". The ARGO system does add a bit of weight, but it's nearer the shooter, and isn't a big deal.

IWC and AVA both make great weapon light mounts for the M4 which allow you to permanently mount a light in a very usable place, ambidextrous.

Scalarworks makes a replacement for the rail that allows you to run an Aimpoint T2 or a Trijicon RMR co-witnessed (lower 1/3) with the irons sights.

The Benelli M4 is about the most durable "combat" shotgun known to man. The USMC got 25,000 rounds out of it without anything going TU, and there is a range in Las Vegas that rents weapons. A lot. They replace their Mossberg 500/590's and Remington 870's about every 4 weeks because they break and are not repairable at a cost/time effective rate. They have a Benelli M4 that's been on the line for literally YEARS and not broken down. It's the only shotgun they can say that about, as their SPAS12's constantly illicit apologies as they break/jam/etc. and the pump guns wear out every few weeks or so.

·
Registered
29,043 Posts
M4FAN said:
there is a range in Las Vegas that rents weapons. A lot. They replace their Mossberg 500/590's and Remington 870's about every 4 weeks because they break and are not repairable at a cost/time effective rate. They have a Benelli M4 that's been on the line for literally YEARS and not broken down. It's the only shotgun they can say that about, as their SPAS12's constantly illicit apologies as they break/jam/etc. and the pump guns wear out every few weeks or so.
This is how fake news starts. What is the name, address, and phone number of the range?

Guns do not wear from days, weeks, or months. They wear from round count. How many rounds?

You missed the part where no new 870s were ever used: they were all well-used, cheap police trade ins to begin with.

If this was true, that all other shotguns turned to mush, melted, went back in time, failed in a few weeks and were mysteriously irreparable, anyone with the brains of a doughnut would instantly buy only Benelli M4's that last as you claim for "literally YEARS." Yet, apparently, there is only one little lonely M4 in a indoor range for tourists to shoot buckshot at a zombie target with . . . all by itself since October of 2012.

This makes sense to no one.

If they really did replace their pump guns once every 4 weeks, since October of 2012 they would have replaced them all 51 times by now.

Police trade-in 870 fodder goes for about $200 a pop. You can wrap up $10,200 in replacing the 870s (if you believe the comments) or buy a Benelli M4 for $1800.

A clever 3rd grader would know what to do, if this was true.

·
Registered
290 Posts
RandyWakeman said:
M4FAN said:
there is a range in Las Vegas that rents weapons. A lot. They replace their Mossberg 500/590's and Remington 870's about every 4 weeks because they break and are not repairable at a cost/time effective rate. They have a Benelli M4 that's been on the line for literally YEARS and not broken down. It's the only shotgun they can say that about, as their SPAS12's constantly illicit apologies as they break/jam/etc. and the pump guns wear out every few weeks or so.
This is how fake news starts. What is the name, address, and phone number of the range?

Guns do not wear from days, weeks, or months. They wear from round count. How many rounds?

You missed the part where no new 870s were ever used: they were all well-used, cheap police trade ins to begin with.

If this was true, that all other shotguns turned to mush, melted, went back in time, failed in a few weeks and were mysteriously irreparable, anyone with the brains of a doughnut would instantly buy only Benelli M4's that last as you claim for "literally YEARS." Yet, apparently, there is only one little lonely M4 in a indoor range for tourists to shoot buckshot at a zombie target with . . . all by itself since October of 2012.

This makes sense to no one.

If they really did replace their pump guns once every 4 weeks, since October of 2012 they would have replaced them all 51 times by now.

Police trade-in 870 fodder goes for about $200 a pop. You can wrap up $10,200 in replacing the 870s (if you believe the comments) or buy a Benelli M4 for $1800.

A clever 3rd grader would know what to do, if this was true.
You obviously don't know what you're talking about. It would boggle your mind how much lead this range puts down-range every day. Do you even have any idea how much 200+ acres within minutes of the Strip costs? ANYWHERE in Nye county? I priced Nye when I was picking a place to live, and 200+ acres is many millions of dollars. I doubt they bought/rented/whatever 200+acres (he says they bought in the thread) just to run a few people a day though. Many of those guns are being shot day in and day out. Read some of his other threads. Oh, and they own a minigun. M134. last one I priced sold for the better part of half a mil. And they let people shoot the **** out of it. This isn't your granddaddy's range.
http://www.battlefieldvegas.com/

30 days worth of 7.62x39 steel from their range:

That's just their x39 weapons, not counting all the 5.56 and other calibers...Do some research.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts