Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
evening fellers,

bought a M590A1 a few weeks ago. it feels real good. Question. I use this for HD but would also like to put some dinner on the table with it. With a 20 inch barrel, could I shoot dove and quail? what shot should I use? I would guess 7 1/2 but the spread appears too great with a 20 incher ( the gun) What about rabbits and 'yotes? what would be the effective range with the recommended ammo. I store this gun filled with 00 buck in the tube but leave the chamber empty. Is this the way to go?

·
Registered
38 Posts
you made a good choice going with mossberg. i don't know much about hunting, but as far as storing your shotgun goes, 00 buck is supposed to be good stuff. i have also heard one should leave the chamber empty. it gives you an added bit of safety, and lets the springs rest.

plus the sound of you chambering the thing should scare an intruder off without having to do anythign else haha...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I shoot trap like crazy with my A1...barrel length only matters with your lead, which, once you get used to the A1 won't be an issue....I plan on using mine for pheasant in about 3 weeks cause my Browning BPS is a POS!

RAZO

Good Luck with your Mossy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use anything from 4 to 8 shot when I hunt. Haven't seen that it makes much of a difference. Maybe less shot to shoot on with the #4. I like a modified choke.

As for 'yotes, I would use slugs or buck shot depending on how you hunt them. I prefer a .308 winchester varmint synthetic with a McMillan stock and a leupold Vari X III M1 scope.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts