Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, since the average life span of the factory firing pins seems to be about 6000 rounds I was wondering if any of you have had some new pins machined or if the replacements from Briley seem to be better than the factory installed ones. I plan on shooting in several matches this year and don't want to have a pin break in the middle of one and then try and replace it between stages. I have a machine shop close by and was thinking of having a set made and installing them before I start shooting to avoid any problems.

Thoughts on what hardness of metal to use, type of steel etc?

Thanks bunches!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ok Great Idea!!!

I will take Linda's upper firing pins out and inspect them this holliday.

S-7 is ready available material I will make 25 - 50 firing pins and test them in her shotgon. Then resale is an optoin!

Jim

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trap Doctor said:
Ok Great Idea!!!

I will take Linda's upper firing pins out and inspect them this holliday.

S-7 is ready available material I will make 25 - 50 firing pins and test them in her shotgon. Then resale is an optoin!

Jim
Really? I mean if it's something you can do easily and the pins you make are better than the factory ones or the Briley replacements then I'll take a pair, depending on price of course. :eek:

·
Registered
639 Posts
At 3400 rds I had a misfire on the top barrel. reloaded the bottom and continued to shoot without a problem. It might be dirty, but did make me nervous though! :wink: Tim

·
Registered
639 Posts
WOOD DUCK said:
HAVING A SPARE ANYTHING IS GOOD BUSINESS. CAN YOU MAKE THEM FOR :

BROWING CITORI - FAUSTI - DEHAAN - RIZINNI,PLEASE QUOTE PRICES I'M INTERESTED.
I would think those would be readily available where as the Yildiz parts are NOT available to the public. Warranty work is available for 3 years, but I'm not sure of what kind of product support would be available after the warranty period expires. Also, a simple repair such as replacing a firing pin can not be done right now because there are no parts here in the USA for the consumer to purchase. I have read that other gun manufacturers have sent minor parts, such as firing pins, to people who have needed them....for free!!! Tim

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I'd be interested in a pair for my 20 ga, and I wouldn't object if they were a bit long. I can always shorten them a bit, but it'a a real PITA to add some length! :shock:

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I am interested in spare pair 12, 20.

Tnx

·
Registered
639 Posts
I recontacted Academy concerning replacement firing pins and was basically told it was not in the making at least not right now. Two weekends ago my Yildiz started miss firing on the upper barrel, so I pulled both pins, cleaned the channels and reoiled them....it took only minutes of my time( thanks Trap for the excellent article you sent me on how to do this) and is extremely easy to do!!!! I really think it is a waste of money AND loss of shooting time to send the gun back to Briley to do this EASY repair, but sad to say it is OUR only option....I wonder what happens when the warranty period has expired? Merry Christmas, Tim

·
Registered
76 Posts
Tim,

I just received my new Browning 525 - 410ga - 30" barrel last week. The first thing I did was to take off the stock and inspect for lube. Browning uses grease on the hammer springs and light oil.

I noticed that the upper firing pin did not have a return spring!! This weekend I will be removing the spring on Linda's Yildiz upper firing pin. Maybe it's the spring that is reducing it's life??

I will keep you informed. Oh, I picked up a new battery for my camera that takes great close up photos and will up date the instruction manual.

Jim

·
Registered
639 Posts
No, Jim sent me a copy he had made with an explanation AND photos that took all the mystery out of removing the firing pins. I've got them in a folder and if Trap dosen't mind I'll post the info here. Tim

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.