Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if a mag plug can be used in a Remington 870 Express Synthetic 18" with the factory 6-round tube? I know this sounds like a crazy request, but I want to put on a Speedfeed IV stock (pistol grip) and reduce the magazine capacity to 5-rounds. Local law says I can have either a pistol grip or more than 5-round tube capacity, but not both!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I have a one round extension that I sometimes use which is 5+1 total and I made a 3 round plug for hunting purposes out of washers and a wood dowel. It functions fine. I did this because I do not have the original cap and plug since i bought it with an extension.

The hunting regs say something to the effect that it can't be removed or disabled without dissambly of the gun. in this case unscrewing the mag spring and barrel removal is considered legal. It doesn't just fall out with the gun still being able to function.

In your case however, i'd s-can the pistol grip in favor of full capacity.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Greg Jones said:
Does anyone know if a mag plug can be used in a Remington 870 Express Synthetic 18" with the factory 6-round tube? I know this sounds like a crazy request, but I want to put on a Speedfeed IV stock (pistol grip) and reduce the magazine capacity to 5-rounds. Local law says I can have either a pistol grip or more than 5-round tube capacity, but not both!
Given that most tube plugs are little more then a wood dowel which restricts the follower from going too far forward. You could probably just make one. Now the 870 does have the removable mag cap? If so just remove it and put a wood dowel in there. The diamesions should be floating around internet some where. Something just occurred to me while writing this post. If the law is what prohibits from having over a certian number of shells in your region. Then I must ask as to wether or not the law requires the plug to be permenant rather then just a removable plug such as a wood dowel.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have to agree with mike100. If I had to choose between a full capacity 7 or 8 round magazine and my SpeedFeed IV-S stock, I go with the the full capacity magazine and a traditional stock in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to just move? :lol: Then you can have full mag capacity and your pistol grip stock. Seriously, what government entity made this ridiculous law? City, County, Township?

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
shotgun minster said:
Then I must ask as to wether or not the law requires the plug to be permenant rather then just a removable plug such as a wood dowel.
This is a very good question.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now that I looked at the law further, I believe that it would have to be a permanent modification rather than a plug, so I suppose I will forget about adding the pistol grip stock. Here is how the law reads:

(L) "Assault weapon" means any: ...

(4) Semi-automatic shotgun that has two or more of the following:
(a) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the receiver of the weapon;
(b) A folding, telescoping or thumbhole stock;
(c) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five standard two and three quarters inch (2 3/4"), or longer, rounds; or
(d) An ability to accept a detachable magazine;

(5) Shotgun with a revolving cylinder;
(6) Conversion kit or combination of parts from which an assault weapon can be assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

BTW, this is part of the assault weapon ban enacted in Columbus, Ohio this fall which caused the NRA to pull out holding the national convention here next year.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
BannedbyGrizzly said:
Is it relevant to the conversation that a Remington 870 is not a semi-auto? Does this law even apply to your shotgun?
He's right, it only applies to semi's. You're good to go. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
You said you have an 870 right? This is a common law that applies to semi-autos (e.g. 11-87), not pump actions. Now you can have your cake and eat it too!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Disregard above post, my slow typing skills failed me again. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, how about that! Good catch-I never noticed the semi-auto part. Looks like I'm all set-thanks everyone!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Am I correct, the assult weapon ban has expired? About the same time that Glock Hi Cap magazines went from $85 to $25. If not then I'm in deep dodo! My 11-87 tactical skeet gun, 9+1 and a pistol grip Choate stock.
Oh heck, I'm handicaped, I even have a pistol grip stock on my crossbow, for deer hunting.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Federal AWB expired Sept. 2004, however some cities and states have their own bans. In the case of Columbus, OH, city officials passed a ban this past summer.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
The death of the federal AWB also doesn't effect imported semi's like the Benellis. You still can't run a pistol grip with an extended magazine, legally.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts