Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wise and sagely shotgunners,

If I keep my Winchester 1300 or my S&W 916 loaded, will their magazine springs lose their elasticity over time? Similarly, will my pistol magazine springs suffer the same fate?

Also, where can I find a sling kit for my S&W 916? One more thing, is the 916 a "good" gun?

Thank you in advance for the help.

Z0mBe

·
Premium Member
20,443 Posts
Quote: "If I keep my Winchester 1300 or my S&W 916 loaded, will their magazine springs lose their elasticity over time?"

The short answer is "yes". The longer answer is it depends a lot on how long "over time" means. I would estimate that for a tubular magazine spring, 10 years of continual compression might make is slightly less strong and perhaps in need of replacement if it is to be depended upon for a home defense gun. For the 916, I would estimate perhaps the same time period for possible replacement. Springs (or replacement magazines) aren't very expensive. Better to replace them if you have any doubt.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ditto what Ulysses said. FWIW, I've also heard some good arguments suggesting that frequent loading and unloading of a magazine causes the springs to take a set (weaken) faster than just leaving a magazine loaded. Springs are so cheap, I just replace the magazine springs for my "social" guns annually as cheap insurance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.