Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be buying the black synthetic Beretta 390 in the next week or so. I've never had a brand new gun, i've always had hand-me-downs, So, I was wondering what kind of care I need to do to the gun before the first time I shoot it. I think I remember reading something about cleaning all of the grease off of the gun when I buy it, and then re oiling it before I shoot it. I was just looking for some tips on maintenance before my first time taking the gun out. Also, if any of you have any preferances on cleaning supplies for Beretta shotguns. I like to take care of my things, and I don't want to hurt this gun from the beginning.
Thanks.

·
Registered
13,108 Posts
I like to shoot them right out of the box with a couple hundred heavier field loads. Then I take the gun all the way apart to clean it and lightly lube it with a quality oil like CLP, FP-10, Militec.

·
Registered
139 Posts
i would take it apart like the manuel say's....clean real good...do a search on here for more detailed cleaning of the recoil spring and mag tube spring...not hard to remove....you will love this gun....they are great!!!!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
1. Degrease the gun with a gun scrubber...be careful to avoid spraying the synthetic stock with the gun scrubber as it can cause discoloring. Don't forget to pay special attention and degrease the piston hanger, piston, trigger group and inside of the receiver.

2. Lightly lube the piston, bolt and trigger group with Breakfree CLP.

3. Break gun in with 100 or so 'heavy dove loads'.

4. After the break-in period, shoot some lighter loads to see how the gun handles them.

5. Enjoy, Enjoy, and Enjoy some more!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, thanks for the replies. I see that breakfree clp is reccommended a lot. I've never used breakfree before, so tell me if I understand this right... I spray it on the parts, it breaks down the grease, and then I wipe it off, then spray more clp on for lubrication. Is this correct? I've always used hoppe's kits where I"ve used different things for different applications, but this breakfree seems like a good deal.
thanks.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
s_self said:
Alright, thanks for the replies. I see that breakfree clp is reccommended a lot.
One of the things BreakFree does really well is keep powder fouling soft. After repeated use it also lays down a layer of Teflon which helps keep powder fouling from caking on. This is just the ticket for a gas operated weapon!

I never tried it until I bought a Colt HBAR (AR-15) rifle that directs raw gasses out of the barrel back into the action for operation. I was always complaining about scraping caked-on powder fouling out of the internals. A buddy in the National Guard gave me a small bottle of military issue CLP to try. Holy cow! It worked like magic on the powder fouling and prevented it from caking on/hardening in the future.

As for the layer of Teflon it leaves, I was kind of skeptical. Recently, when doing bluing touch-up on some rifles with Brownell's Oxpho-Blue (which rubs on right through gun oil; no degreasing necessary) I found that it worked as advertised on most of my rifles, but wouldn't stick on the ones I had been wiping down with BreakFree CLP. It took a lot of scrubbing and rubbing with 0000 steel wool to get it to penetrate and blue. I took that to mean that the Breakfree had left some kind of layer that was way tougher than an oil film....

I believe that Breakfree CLP is the perfect product for lubing gas guns. And I use it on everything else, too. :)

This sounds like a commercial, so I'll add that I'm not connected in any way with the company, etc.. I just like the stuff.

Good shooting,
desmobob

·
Registered
220 Posts
Make sure you lube the magazine spring with Eezox. You won't have to do it again for a loooong time. The mag spring is often overlooked but is often the first thing that starts to rust.......but you won't realize it.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
CWPINST said:
Make sure you lube the magazine spring with Eezox. You won't have to do it again for a loooong time. The mag spring is often overlooked but is often the first thing that starts to rust.......but you won't realize it.
That reminds me to mention the recoil spring.

After several seasons of waterfowl hunting (and two submersions), the action on my AL390 was sounding a little "gritty." I removed the butt stock and the recoil spring (it took some heat to remove the recoil spring cap) to find it was very rusty. :( That would also be a good place for a shot of Eezox (found in several lubricant comparison tests to be excellent at rust prevention).

Good shooting,
desmobob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.