Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost the use of my left arm [US Navy 100%sc] and have never owned or used a pistole grip gun of any kind...but need a HD shotgun thats easer to use one handed.I have decided on a 930 but am not sure of the ghost sights on the SPX. Cost is a real factor too.I am thinking of getting the new PG turkey gun swapping out the xxfull for a IC choke,adding a mag extension tube [8,9,10,????] a small light light,maybe a lazer sight of some kind,and a sling attchment...A PG SPX lists for 780.00 plus and is hard to find.The pluses for the turkey gun to me are a ported barrel,lower cost [maybe] ,higher cap. mag,adjustable FO sights.What do the experts here think of this configureation ??? I know it will be long for a HD gun but I will also use it for hunting too [hogs/deer not birds ] I hope a IC choke will not stick out like the XX Full does.I like the idea of tritium night sight but ALL aftermarket sights seem really expensive.. I don't think I want to or can carry and shoot a 12 lb monster so overall weight IS a factor...Thanks for everyones input !!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The new PG Turkey gun has a 24" VR barrel and should be easer to find than a SPX with the PG..and is 150.00 less ...Is the OAL to long for HD?? With a 24" what is my max cap and will that make it too heavy out front ? I want to make the right choices BEFORE I buy the gun! The real trouble for me is no dealer anywhere near me has a PG SPX or the new PG turkey gun to actualy try out...In reading a lot of posts here NO one mentions a HD 930 with anything longer than 18"..Will the ported barrel reduce recoil in any real world way? I don't plan to carry any extra rounds on the gun or sling so the extra rounds a 24" could have 'sounds' good but is it really? Is there any issues with the vent rib on the turkey gun? [mag ex tube ,mounting a light or other sights ?] My HD guns right now are a SS 12 gauge and a 5 shot 32 I have to unpin to reload...I want to get this right..From all Iv'e read I'm glad I picked the 930 !

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
The HD model comes with an 18" cyl bore. The Choate PG bolts on, or you can probably buy just the turkey stock from Mossberg.

An XS 24/7 Big Dot epoxies over the bead, and provides an aiming reference in all lighting conditions.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After a lot of thinking and research I'm going for it!24" IS too long for a HD gun so when $$ lets me I'll move the FO front sight back,cut off the ports and choke put the maximum cap. mag tube [9, 10 ??] and call it lovely....I just don't want the ghost ring sights!!! [or rail..]

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm tracking it right now! It should be here in Florida on Thursday...I'm starting with a 85235,24"VR, FO front sight only, xxfull choke,black....The PG stocked model is not in production yet.Less than 500.00 delivered,Buds in KY was the only dealer who had this gun!I spent many hours e;mailing,calling,lots of time was wasted looking for the 'Factory' PG turkey model..I still might go with the factory rear adjustable sights if I can get them or I might try some kind of 'Night' sights...I really think I made a good choice with this configuration and with the 930 in general.With a Choate PG stock, mag tube, and forearm...I'm close to being done..

·
Premium Member
2,778 Posts
bossharp said:
I know it will be long for a HD gun but I will also use it for hunting hogs and deer (not birds).
If you buy the $164.27 930 Security Barrel #93020 (bead front sight, 12 gauge 18.5" cylinder bore, matte blue), then you won't have to chop your beautiful $189.63 #93025 24" vent-rib turkey barrel. For less than $164.27, if you must, you could have a gunsmith cut the vent-rib and shorten barrel #93025, tap it for a $16.54 #95200 IC Accu-Choke (and your xx-full turkey Accu-Choke), and relocate the adjustable fiber optic front sight. But owning both barrels is wiser. And the $45 Choate +3 930 mag extension #02-04-33 will add less weight up front than the +4 or +5 930 mag extensions and tire your good arm less, and should match up close to the muzzle of the 18.5" barrel. I hope that your 930 arrives on Thursday, bossharp!

P.S. An error on the Mossberg 930 specification page says that your 930 #85235 has a 28" barrel. It does not. It has a 24" barrel as the description page states. I counted the ribs in the picture below and it matches my 24" vent-rib barrel.
P.S.S. Hunting hogs with a shotgun and one good arm? :shock:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was/am on a super tight budget so a combo was out of the question...As far as HD I am just going to live with the 24" VR but am going with a factory FO rear sight that would have come on the PG stocked 85265 model that is not even being made yet....When you have make one gun do 2 different jobs it's not going to be perfect for either one...Bummer..But I am so happy to get ANY decent 930 !!! Right now I have a SS 12 that wont fire and a 32 cal pistole you have to take the cylinder off to re-load so having this 930 is a huge step up!My bud next door can put me on hogs really easy where I'd be safe [cant walk much either] Fred Choate sent me a personal e;mail [really cool!!] about the mag tube and PG stock so that will go on this gun soon. [Uncle Sam is a truly great uncle but darn tight with the check each month LOL] I am HOPING that in it's final configuration I will be able to handle it safely and well...It was a really tough call on the mag extension...Weight of a 9 shot verses a possible fumbled reload in a really bad situation..Heck maybe there will be a tree limb or something to rest it on in the woods and in a HD moment..I hope I get lucky!

·
Premium Member
2,778 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got the front forearm strap and the fiber optic front and rear adjustable sights on today...The sights make a huge difference! the strap [black cloth,Mossberg lettering from a 590] looks tactically cool on a 930 and helps me hold steady on target...Next is the 9 shot Choate mag tube and Mark 5 PGS...IC choke will replace the xxfull...Great sights!!!!!Pictures soon!!!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.