Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to be able to consistently knock down (kill) a coyote at 75 yards using a shotgun, What gauge/load would you recommend, or is 75 yards just too far out of range? Of the many thousands of shells I've shot in my life, I've never ventured out that far.

My thinking is to set up a single-purpose shotgun with a 3X, 100-yard night-vision scope. It would be seldom fired - maybe 3 or 4 shots a month. A used, cheapo Remington super-mag fits my budget - if I can get the range.

Edited to add: I need to shoot shot, not slugs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
You need to look at high density tungsten loads using anything from hw13 shot from bucks run to TSS from hawglips here on the form.

With a 12 bore and 2 ounce loads, 75 yard loads are very doable, just not cheap and have to be home rolled. I believe a guy with the user name dairyacerbob (sp?) Is also on this form and he really knows his big loads of high density shot for predator hunting. You could look him up and I'd bet he could get you started real easy. If he's not on here he's always on DHC posting.

With that said I've rolled many coyotes and foxes with high density notox out there a long ways well hunting waterfowl. It will get you out there a long ways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
908 Posts
Dr Duk said:
Last year at our goose lease one guy shot a coyote @80 yards with #2 steel.
I would use Hevi Shot Dead Coyote in 3 1/2" shells.
Expensive, but only a few shots a month won't break the bank.
WOW, that is a long shot!!! How was and who measured that distance?

I'd find that kill distance to be a bit difficult to believe. I've been hunting geese over 60 years and back when lead was still legal killed many, many geese at that yardage and beyond with lead BBs... but never would think of shooting a goose with #2 steel beyond 40 yards, much less a coyote.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sobrepuesta said:
Why are you being restricted to a choice of ammunition that is likely to yield inhumane results at that range?

The humane tool would be a rifled slug, sabot slug (thru a rifled barrel) or a .223 rifle with varmint loads.
I have neighbors at 12:00 and 2:30, the closest is about 500 yards away. A shotgun would allow me to shot in any direction.

I'd rather not have to walk out there at night to deliver a finishing shot. A humane kill is always important to me (which is why I started this thread), but I also have rattlesnakes.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,014 Posts
300Mag said:
Sobrepuesta said:
Why are you being restricted to a choice of ammunition that is likely to yield inhumane results at that range?

The humane tool would be a rifled slug, sabot slug (thru a rifled barrel) or a .223 rifle with varmint loads.
I have neighbors at 12:00 and 2:30, the closest is about 500 yards away. A shotgun would allow me to shot in any direction.

I'd rather not have to walk out there at night to deliver a finishing shot. A humane kill is always important to me (which is why I started this thread), but I also have rattlesnakes.
Do you have (or can create) the opportunity to take a shot from an elevated position (including the second story of a house)? That would allow a rifle of appropriate caliber and bullet choice to be used safely
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And I'm not even sure why I chose 75 yards - it's not some "magic number" for me. I certainly could reduce that if need be. 60 yards would probably do for all practical purposes.

I suspect when I step out there to shoot, there will be multiple targets. I only know they are there and close to my house when they start howling.

It sounded like there were a dozen or so of them surrounding my house a few days ago - and way too close. I fired-off two 12 gauge warning shots and they never even stopped howling - my guess is they were making so much noise that they couldn't hear the gunshots :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sobrepuesta said:
300Mag said:
Sobrepuesta said:
Why are you being restricted to a choice of ammunition that is likely to yield inhumane results at that range?

The humane tool would be a rifled slug, sabot slug (thru a rifled barrel) or a .223 rifle with varmint loads.
I have neighbors at 12:00 and 2:30, the closest is about 500 yards away. A shotgun would allow me to shot in any direction.

I'd rather not have to walk out there at night to deliver a finishing shot. A humane kill is always important to me (which is why I started this thread), but I also have rattlesnakes.
Do you have (or can create) the opportunity to take a shot from an elevated position (including the second story of a house)? That would allow a rifle of appropriate caliber and bullet choice to be used safely
I have a single story house. I have given very serious thought to building a shooting/observation platform on top, but access to it would have to be from an outside stairway.

Such a platform would be great for calling and target shooting - heck, I could (safely) shoot up to 1000 yards out if I wanted to. But if/when the `yotes are already outside my door, I doubt I could get up onto the platform without being seen/heard.

I've also considered building a 100% remote controlled AR15 mounted on a tripod - but that's another story :)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
9,330 Posts
BGK said:
Dr Duk said:
Last year at our goose lease one guy shot a coyote @80 yards with #2 steel.
I would use Hevi Shot Dead Coyote in 3 1/2" shells.
Expensive, but only a few shots a month won't break the bank.
WOW, that is a long shot!!! How was and who measured that distance?

I'd find that kill distance to be a bit difficult to believe. I've been hunting geese over 60 years and back when lead was still legal killed many, many geese at that yardage and beyond with lead BBs... but never would think of shooting a goose with #2 steel beyond 40 yards, much less a coyote.
I did not see it! It was reported to our group who are in the goose lease.
Do not know how it was measured, ect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,110 Posts
You should be fine out to 75 yards with a decent patterning 00 buck shot or the mentioned dead coyote loads. Coyotes are not thick skinned or real tough to take down. I'd still be careful the direction you shoot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Id be more inclined to use a 22mag at that distance. Its far from ideal but still probably better than even dead coyote loads at 75yards.

I pattern my coyote guns extensively, settling on a deadcoyote choke and shells thru my sbe2 and even 60 is pushing it. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,516 Posts
Set traps; go out in the morning and pop them in the head with a .22.

I don't like traps but it seems your options are limited.

What is it the coyotes are doing that you don't like?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
777 Posts
A friend that lives a few miles from me picked one off at 130 yards Approx. with a scoped .17 rimfire. One shot and fell where he was hit. Any varmint gun would be better than a shotgun...imo.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
30,821 Posts
There have been coyote hunters at our farm for decades.

They use dogs and #4 Buck and cylinder bore shotguns. Even #4 Buck is dangerous to a half a mile (two forty acre fields long). Be careful.

At 40 yards the dogs go down

Beyond that there's less chance of a knockdown, but perhaps the coyote dies later from infection.

The hillbilly has no sympathy for a coyote. They are a rabbit and quail eating machine, and there still should be a bounty on them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,516 Posts
The O.P. says he has rattlesnakes. Coyotes eat rattlesnakes. Maybe that's why they're there.
 
1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top