Shotgun Forum banner

Mandatory money back to class, or class options?

• Mandatory money back to class, because it's all about the money

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • Class options, because I shot for fun

Votes: 46 67.6%
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
11,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we're completely revamping sporting clays (at least on this website) what do you guys think about mandatory money back to class at monthly shoots?

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Mandatory money back to class, If you work hard, practice hard and shoot well you deserve to get paid. They are tournaments afterall.

·
Registered
833 Posts
What I said on the other thread was somewhat tongue in cheek, and meant to prove a point. (Which it immediately did). I'm against anything which makes the game arbitrarily more expensive. Keep Back to Class money optional.

I made that comment, knowing that at least one of the "Who does it hurt if I stay in Master class" crowd would respond as they did. (I'd quit, they said!). The point being, when it's their money, they're all about admitting they can't compete. But when it's about somebody else's money, who's trying to earn their way up and can't get punches because there's no one left in the lower classes, they could care less that shooting in an uncompetitive class costs up and coming shooters punches.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
AZ Dutch said:
What I said on the other thread was somewhat tongue in cheek, and meant to prove a point. (Which it immediately did). I'm against anything which makes the game arbitrarily more expensive. Keep Back to Class money optional.

I made that comment, knowing that at least one of the "Who does it hurt if I stay in Master class" crowd would respond as they did. (I'd quit, they said!). The point being, when it's their money, they're all about admitting they can't compete. But when it's about somebody else's money, who's trying to earn their way up and can't get punches because there's no one left in the lower classes, they could care less that shooting in an uncompetitive class costs up and coming shooters punches.
Fine as long as it applies to all classes, and if you think thats gonna fill up the lower classes good luck Dutch..

·
Registered
52 Posts
I personally think that the class option will draw more shooters. It will draw the shooters that are struggling or just want to shoot and also the guys that are on top of their game. The confident shooters can play the option and everyone is happy.
I never understood why clubs force everyone pay money towards HOA, when only 6 to 7 shooters have a chance of winning. It's usually the same group. The rest of the shooters couldn't win on their best day. It's like a tax that is required. Is there anyone that goes to a shoot because HOA is $1500. ? Maybe the group of 6 or 7.

·
Registered
11,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
160 views and only 13 votes. Come on guys, vote, it's free :)

·
Registered
11,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll admit it, the cost of registered shoots is taking it's toll on me. Anything "they" can do to lower it is a plus in my book.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Given the inadequacies of the current classification system, and the prevalence of SYO, mandatory money back to class at monthly shoots isn't really feasible right now.

Also, while shooters climbing the class ladder and the upper echelon of M-class might benefit, it would just raise costs for the majority of shooters, which is bad for our sport.

I often play the class option (and usually just get my own $5 or $10 back as few people play it around here), but I'm a vote for No.

·
Banned
3,014 Posts
hfschwenk said:
Given the inadequacies of the current classification system, and the prevalence of SYO, mandatory money back to class at monthly shoots isn't really feasible right now.

Also, while shooters climbing the class ladder and the upper echelon of M-class might benefit, it would just raise costs for the majority of shooters, which is bad for our sport.
+1

I play none of the options. I'm not in this for the money. There are at least two shooting sports I know that ban monetary prizes because they understand their corrupting influence.

·
Registered
11,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting, over two to one in favor of class options. In So Cal all three of the clubs that throw registered targets have mandatory money back to class.

That's pretty much the reason I don't shoot many registered targets anymore.

·
Registered
8,556 Posts
If money back to class becomes mandatory, I'm afraid it would encourage sandbagging and improper downclass requests. Heck, *I* would probably ask for the downclass to AA and I suspect I'm not alone...

·
Registered
27,021 Posts
Interesting, over two to one in favor of class options. In So Cal all three of the clubs that throw registered targets have mandatory money back to class.
Most of the clubs here have some form of cash awards built into the cost (about $70) of the monthly shoot. Some offer additional class option wagering. The first mentioned cash award is typically in the form of $25-$40 (approx) or so to each class winner so it isn't really a "class option" as the amount is divided equally regardless of how many are in each class.

Sure it is nice to win at least some gas money back, but if it meant they could drop the price $10, I'd rather see that. In that $70 there is usually $10 for prize money, $10 for breakfast and lunch, $5 for NSCA/state fees and about $5 for state sales tax. Can't do much about the latter two, but if the others were optional so someone could save $20, it might entice a few more shooters for whom this game is an indulgent treat.
JMO, YMMV

·
Registered
11,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's why I like shooting in Illinois. The clubs I go to are about $55 for a monthly shoot, no money back to class, no lunch.

I'm just there to have fun.

·
Registered
27,021 Posts
Don't get me wrong, we get great targets here in central/north FL, but the bar has been set and I think if someone did like you mentioned they do in IL, I wonder what the outcome might be. Most of these places are a good distance from places to eat; and most also throw a PM shoot so they do not want you to leave. That said if lunch was optional, would some prefer to bring their own from home (health/diet or cost reasons?) I don't know. At some clubs, I probably would pack a lunch; others have great caterers.

But it still comes down to cost for a lot of folks. I suspect that is why the majority of folks who shoot sporting clays do not shoot registered.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I just paid $110 for 150 birds, that includes coffee and donuts, water on the course, sometimes trappers, a good lunch with desert, and prizes of some sort for 1st thu 3rd in each class. The prizes are actually usable, knives, yeti ramblers, shooting gear, etc. My first win in E was at this club and I got an engraved stag horn handled filet knife, it has since cut up many a fish.

I quit signing up for back to class options and lewis options unless the shoot is real big. Then I do lewis.

·
Registered
27,021 Posts
Funny that you mention that about Lewis class since that is what was used in the beginning. Now everyone seems to laugh at using the Lewis system, yet it seems to be offered at bigger shoots and folks play it. Most likely like the folks who only buy a Lotto ticket when the prize is really up there.

I wonder what would attendance be like at a registered shoot where they only did a Lewis?

·
Registered
27,021 Posts
I meant in lieu of punches and other prizes, ala as it was in the beginning

1 - 20 of 121 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.