Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 12 ga. Remington 870 Wingmaster with a 26" vent rub barrel with improved cylinder. There was a 30" 3-inch magnum barrel with it, so I know it has a 3-inch chamber.

The most important bit of info I need is the date of manufacture. Can this be deducted from the serial number? The serial number is V028212V.

Is there an online reference for Remington serial numbers?

I was hoping someone could tell me the year it was made and about how much it is worth. The gun is in overall great condition, with a few small spots of rust on the right side in front of the stock. I don't know what "percent" grading that makes it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bartonx

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
* Vent. rib
- became standard in 1985.
Grading 100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
MSR $584 $415 $345 $290 $250 $215 $190 $175

3 in. shells (12 or 20 ga.) may be shot in Magnum receivers only regardless of what the barrel markings may indicate (the ejection port is larger in these Magnum models with M suffix serialization).

On the dating , where is Remroc when you need him?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info.

I found the Owner's Manual for the gun -- unfortunately there isn't any copyright info on it anywhere, so the manufacture date is still a mystery. I guess the serial number holds the only clue.

Regarding the grading, if the gun is in pristine condition overall, with only these few surface rust spots in that one small area (the trigger plate?), would that make it a 98%, a 95%... or lower?

I've been offered $200, but I'm told it's worth more than that. I'm hoping to find the year so I can accurately describe it, and take it from there.

Thanks again for the info.

Bartonx

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
I think I'd count it 95% + , and if you let it go for $200 you will be banging your head on a doorframe wondering why you did that.

Check out these sites www.gunbroker.com www.auctionarms.com www.gunsamerica.com and put wingmaster in the searchboxes, it'll give you a better , first hand feel for what you should ask. On top of that the prices will be a bit more current than the Bluebooks.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Oh and on the age, I think the V indicates '79 would this be consistant with what you know about the gun?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the additional info. I can't be sure, but '79 might very well be the date. The internet has sites where you can punch in the serial numbers of just about everything... why can't Remington do the same?!

Bartonx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The answer is simple-money!

In addition, while Remington has made millions and millions of guns over the last 200+ years, I (for one) seldom see someone needing to find out exactly what year their Remington was made. Besides, serial numbers were not 'required' until the mid 1960s or so.

Even when there was a screaming need to date the production of the famous Parker guns, Remington simply would not do it and eventually turned the stored paperwork over to the Parker Gun Collectors Assn and they did it themselves--and it was, from what I have read, a lot of very painstaking work that could never be economically justified.

Can you imaging digitizing millions and millions of serial numbers on hundreds of models ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can simply call Remington at 800-243-9700 and give the customer service rep. the serial number and they can tell you over the phone the date of manufacture.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts