Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Way back in the beginning of the year (early spring?) I had to honor of shooting a gentleman's very old LC Smith SxS at 16 yd trap. No bluing on the barrel whatsoever, but a dull light rust coat, no checkering to be seen/felt, and one lonely brass knobby bead at the end of the barrel. I was eyeing it up in the gun rack, when it's owner walked up to me and said "have at it". Did a round of 16 yd, and was surprised at how well I did with it.

Anyways, I've never stopped thinking about that gun, and occasionally find myself peering at SxS's on the web. And recently this one:

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/ ... C12DB.aspx

And so I'd like to ask, does anyone have any pro's/con's on these things, specifically the one posted? I like to have one for a functioning novelty for skeet, and trap, and wondering if there are any pitfalls to be made aware of.

Thanks!
MM3

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
The only thing those two guns have in common is the name. The newer gun is probably 30-40% overpriced simply because of the name. If you want a LC Smith, but a real one. My only direct exposure to the new gun is through an older gent at my club. His 12ga broke something in the forend a couple of times with relatively few shots fired. His biggest gripe is that it took over three months to get it fixed each time. For the same price or less, you should be able to buy a pretty clean original LC Smith field gun.

·
Registered
11,069 Posts
Sorry to disagree, but the new guns (made by Fausti) are made to a price point for Marlin. They are a fine gun for the price. If you pay less for a Fausti made gun, you get less. Buying for less, you GET less!

"You can save buy not paying for the name" is a common misconception that some on this board have started, and it should die here....

I examined, shot, and now own a 20 Fausti-made L. C. Smith, and I consider it a fine gun. Put a lot of rounds through it, too!
No, it's NOT an "original" Smith, but a fine gun for the money.

Yeah, I love the old Smiths, but I wouldn't dare put that many rounds through one!

BobK

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.