Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the last time i was out hunting with my mav 88 it jammed , and i had to rack it really had to get it out . i forgot about that for about 2 moths and just remembered now that i wanted to use it again . so i tryed to load a empty round into it because i didn't want it to go off if there was a serious problem . will load then stop and you can still see brass , and then rack it , it just comes out . the gun has less than 30 boxes of 2 3/4 shells though it and i would never have thought it would do this . my dads 500 has countless slugs though it and only had 1 misfire in the last 6 years he has owned the gun .is there any thing i should look for to be out of place , or do you guys have a idea whats wrong ?

edit forgot to say it will close all the way with no shell .
edit #2 i think im whats wrong with it LOL , i dont think a empty round should chamber , they expanded when shot .... now i just need to get some were that i can safely shoot it a few times .

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
get a couple dummy rounds and chamber those.
pull the bbl off and look for signs of damage or an obstruction.

Have you disassembled the bolt and cleaned everything?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
make sure the barrel is properly seated.

when you get to the range, cycle a few live rounds, like you said, the fired rounds will not cycle as smoothly as a fresh round.

Make sure the action fully locks up. if not, I would see a gun smith. someone else may have more to offer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it locks up fully with no shell , i will get to a range soon to try her out .the barrel is on there right , maybe it was just a crummy reload . it never did that before . i have not used it since because it was deer season and i use a muzzle loader for deer .

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
thats good, thanks for the update.

Haveing a couple dummy rounds around is always handy to check function after a deep cleaning.

Also makes for some extra fun at the range to have a friend load your shotgun and occationally slip one in. a Click once or twice per box of shells will keep you on your toes when shooting clays. I also do that on rifle, and pistol shoots.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts