Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, i've got a mav 88, and i took it shooting for the first time not too long ago. I put 4 shells in the tube and started shooting. 2nd shell gets loaded into the chamber, i pull the trigger, and "Click" nothing happens, i wait a little while, eject the shell and see there no markings on the primer, so i chamber the next round, same things happens. no mark to speak of on the primer at all. chamber the next round. Boom, goes off no problem. so i keep shooting and after every few rounds, i'd hit a snag and it wouldnt shoot 2 or 3 shells in a row, then it would work again... you get the idea..

so what could be wrong?

thanks alot.

G

·
I have owned about 5 mavericks, with 5-shot and 8-shot capacity, 4 of them had the same problem as you described, even worse it gets when changing to a alternative buttstock or pistol grip. I just gave up and swore I would never ever again buy a Maverick , but I have no Idea what´s causing the striking problems. I just think it´s a piece of worthless crap, the maverick even let me down when hunting wild boar in the jungle...

G

·
Does this mean Mavericks are a piece of crap, all of them, or it was just a matter of bad luck?? Does anybody have something good to say about Mavericks??
I am asking this because I was just going to buy a Mav 88 Security for home defense (it seems to be the best relation price/value), but I do not want to get stuck with a cold load in front of a home assailant....

G

·
I would just like to add that my 88 security shotgun has been utterly reliable under the most insane conditions. I have even put it in wet sand with the bolt to the rear and gotten as much sand in there. IT was hard to pump but the shells still extracted and it fired anyway.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've had a Maverick 88 Field for about 6 years now. I've ran at least 10,000 rounds through it. It's an awesome gun, granted it's cheap, but it's damned reliable. I worked at Academy for about 2 months, and I heard various opinions of them. As far as I can tell, from my personal experiences, as well as others stories. The 88 has a screw inside the receiver, when you open the breach, it's visible. Make 100% certain this screw is SNUG, do not try to torque it in. Simply snugging it will do the trick. This prevents the "dry-fire" affect on the gun. Had it happen ONCE, tightened the screw back, voila! No more dry-fire affects. I think really people do underestimate it because of the fact, it's a Pump, it's made in Texas with Mexican Border Labor, and it's under $160. Really, if you just keep it clean, I don't care how much you bad-mouth it, there's hardly any way at all for it to jam. Especially with it's double-bar transfer system. It's pretty much "child-proof." Granted, sometimes, people don't take the best care of their weapons. I've got 2 Mavericks, and neither have had any major flaws other than the screw loosening up on them and causing the "dry-fires."

·
Registered
74 Posts
Check your ammo. Any reloads? Make sure the locking bolt is moving all the way up into the barrel extension; if it doesn't ,firing pin won't travel. You don't have to use force. Just make sure the op arm is all the way forward into positive lock-up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts