Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I am brand new to this site and am looking to purchase my first shotgun for home defense and to take to the shooting range. I will never be hunting or doing any type of competition shooting so I just need a solid shotgun for protection. I am looking at 2 currently, the Maveric 88 and the 500. I am just wondering what the main differences are because the 500 is only $65 more than the 88. I know that I have not seen this version of the 500 before mainly because of the foregrip. I do know that the 88 has a plastic forgrip that I am not a fan of, but I am not too sure on how that 500 is set up. If anyone knows more info it would be very helpful. Thanks.
Links:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/42605
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/39622

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
These two guns are identical with the following exceptions:

1) The Mossberg comes with a pistol grip....

2) SAFETY LOCATION:
The Mossberg has the safety on tang (rear uppermost protion of the receicer, on top)
The Maverick uses a cross bolt safety button located on the trigger guard.

3) The aesthetic design of the forearms are different, but, mechanically they are the same, the newer model 500's use the same style one piece plastic forearm with the acton bars permenantly attached. The good news is, they don't rattle and make as much noise as the older style, the bad news is if you want to change to an aftermarket forearm, you'll need to purchase more parts to do it...

Both guns are made in the same factory in Texas, quality-wise they'll be similar, the Mossberg comes with a 10-year warranty, the Maverick, a 1 year (not that you'll probably need, either)

Smitty

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
I agree with Smitty, and would add that Mossberg customer service has been very good for me. If something is actually wrong with your gun, not caused by abuse or neglect, they have a habit of repairing for free even if the gun is off warranty. They have treated me the best of any gun company I've dealt with. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys for the feedback, very useful. It's good to know that Mossberg is a versatile brand with some good service, I will keep this into consideration with my purchase.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Im thinking about buying a Maverick 88 security model. would buy a 500 i know its only a little more price wise...but im on a tight budget. the way i look at it is.. " you don't get a ferrari for your first car "
I certainly didn't.. IMO you gota have a beater first to rag on and learn with that way if something F***s up its not a big deal. But why mossberg has a 10 year warranty and the maverick has a 1 year makes me a little nervous.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The Maverick's a good gun no matter the price or warranty. IMO your getting alot more than what you pay for. Like Texas_Made said, your not getting a ferrari. The 88 is more like an old ford truck (or chevy if thats your thing :roll: ). They are tough, rugged, and reliable without the care and maintainence needed on $1000+ shotguns and IF something goes wrong or you want to change it, its real easy to find parts for it. Just change the oil once in a while and it'll last a lifetime and then some.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I bought an 88 12 ga.five years ago because it was all I could afford at the time. 7 deer later it's my favorite slug gun. and even though I picked up a nice used 20 ga. mossy 500 this summer because of a shoulder injury,got it sighted in,and ready to go it's going to be an emergency backup for my mav 88. can't help it. I love that mav
rcc47

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've owned a couple 500s and a 88.

The ONLY reason to pick a synthetic-stocked 500 over a 88 is if you prefer the safety location on the 500 (and it's worth the extra $$ to you to get that).

Now, if you just MUST have wood furniture, you might as well just get a wood 500 in the first place. Getting wood furniture for your 88 would probably negate its price advantage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.