Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any experience with this gun. I would like to purchase a fully rifled barrel for it but cant find one. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well it is a nice gun. You shouldn't have a problem finding a rifled slug barrel for it as a Mossberg 500 barrel will fit. I would suggest the 24" ported rifled and rifle sight slug barrel. I have seen them for as little as $50 at gunshows. I think they average $120ish new.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got one, good cheap gun, but I overpaid badly. I paid $190. In truth I shouldn't have paid more than $130. I bought the persuader pistol grip police model, so i could have something loaded and handy next to my bed post at night. In truth though, if you have the money, go for the mossberg 500. It's a much better buy. They run about $220 and are well worth it. Many of the parts on the maverick are cast, and are easier to break, where as the vast majority of 500 parts are forged. Or hell, go with a remington 870 or winchester 1300 if you have about $300-350. Being a current mossberg owner, I can tell you they are excellent choices for smaller budgets, but the remington and winchesters are so much nicer with the winchester being just a tiny bit nicer due to the awesome sites.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know that you are looking for more of a "deerslayer" type gun, rifled for slugs. But when it comes to military type applications, i think the mossberg 590 CAN NOT BE BEAT. I plan on buying a 20" model sometime mid year. The 590 is is very rough around the edges, but it has to be the toughest looking shotgun I have ever seen. The metal of the barrel and whole gun is COMPLETLEY FORGED and is twice as thick and mav88/moss500/870/1300 guns. Just thought I'd throw this in, since one can get a 590 for near the same price as an 870 or 1300.

G

·
is thhe maverick 88 a good gun for dove and skeet shooting or will it break and if any one has had one break can u tell me were they break at thanks

G

·
I have a Maverick Model 88 I purchased with an 18 1/2 inch
cylinder bore barrel in very good condition.I then purchased an
18 1/2 inch rifle sighted cylinder bore barrel with rifle sights
from gunpartscorp.com and a 28 inch vent ribbed fixed choke
barrel from Mossberg.I have used it to break clay pigeons and
hunt small game and have had "0" problems with this gun.I
have used both 2/4 and 3 inch magnums lods in it without a hitch.If you want a rifled slug barrel you can get one of those
fom gunpartscorp.com as well for a reasonable price.I also
own a Rem 870 express and several other brand name shotguns
from Savage to High Standard and I rate this gun right up
there with all of them.i payed 140 bucks for mine and have
been happy from the start.As far as accuracy is concerned i can break clys with the best of them with this gun and the
rifle sighted slug barrel will consitantly keep rifled slugs in a pie
plate all day out to about 75 yards.This gun will be a keeper
and never sold.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.