Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28,151 Posts
Deerbuster said:
I was going to calculate the recoil energy of my 870 using slugs with a "max dram" charge. the calculator asks for a number, so I'm not sure what to put in there.
You can't, no max dram actually exists.

Dram is a unit of weight used to weigh ( :roll: ) blackpowder.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could swear I have seen some websites with slugs's recoil energy in footpounds that have max dram.... maybe the socalled dram equivalent could be calculated from the velocity? 1450 fps...

Oh yeah, I forgot to put in dram equivalent instead of dram. if theres a difference, then its what i meant. :oops:

·
Registered
28,151 Posts
According to physics, the momentum of a free recoiling firearm is equal and opposite in direction to the momentum of the ejecta and powder charge. The formula for free recoil of a firearm is:

Recoil Energy in ft. lbs. = (Bw Mv + 4700 Pw)2 / (64.348 Gw) where:
Gw= the weight of the gun in pounds
Bw = weight of the ejecta (shot and wad) in pounds
Pw = powder weight in pounds
Mv = muzzle velocity in feet per second

Example: Our shooter has an 8 lb. target gun with a load using 19.0 grs. of Clays, a wad weighing 33.0 gr., shot charge of 1 1/8 oz. and giving 1200 fps muzzle velocity. First we must convert the ejecta weight to lbs. (1 1/8 oz. = 492.0 gr.) Dividing grains by 7000 converts to pounds.
Gw = 8 lb.
Bw = (492.0 + 33.0)/7000 = 0.075 lb.
Pw = 18/7,000 = .003 lb.
Mv = 1200 fps

Substituting the numbers in the formula we find the recoil of the shooter's load = 21.05 ft. lbs.

(As published by Hodgdon, Lowry, et al.)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Doesnt the box say how much powder / shot is inside each shell? Convert ounces to pounds, weigh the whole shell, subtract the weight of an empty hull and the shot to get the weight of the wad. Or you could open it up...

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Comparing your Remington load to a Ballistically equal Federal load, the dram Eq. of your load is 3.98. In short, that means the gun's going to kick a lot. So, basically, get used to it. The only way to know how hard it kicks is to step out on the back porch and pop one off :lol:

BT

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hm.... I wonder how legal it would be to do that. :lol: (i have neighbors)

And I've shot some before, just that I want some basis so I can know how much foot pounds I took to the shoulder

·
Registered
28,151 Posts
Deerbuster said:
So the only way would be for me to open up a shell and get a powder scale and see for myself?
Not really. Calculated recoil is not important; felt recoil is what we all care about.

Pulling the trigger is the only way to experience that.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I've got a Remington 7600 in .30-06 that has a 18.5" barrel. I shoot a 180 Gr. load and it kicks a lot and it will ring your ears. I shot a deer with it last weekend and I didn't hear the blast or feel the kick, most amazing :lol:

BT

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Deerbuster said:
I was going to calculate the recoil energy of my 870 using slugs with a "max dram" charge. the calculator asks for a number, so I'm not sure what to put in there.
Look up your load on its manufacturer's website, and it will give you actual velocity of the load.

As for the recoil energy.... it's a slug load. It's heavy and fast, and probably going to hurt.

~Michael

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.