Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new Maxus 2, 3.5”. I have put 500 target loads through it.

Challenger - 7.5 - 1200FPS - 300 rounds
Federal - 7.5 - 1200 FPS - 200 rounds

I have had 12 jams on the challenger and 1 jam on the federal. All the jams are the exact same as the picture attached. The shell seems to get slammed into the side of the barrel, near the ejection port.

Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas on what to try? Gun is cleaned after every use. Browning says it will be 3 months before a gunsmith sees my gun and duck season is right around the corner.

I love everything about this shotgun, except the reliability. Unfortunately with semi’s, reliability is a massive thing for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
28,969 Posts

This is hardly unusual with 1 oz. loads if that is what you are using, with a 3-1/2 inch chamber. Likely nothing to get cranked up about, as those are not duck loads.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Randy,

Thank for for taking the time to reply. These are 1 1/8 oz target loads. It seems to not be a gas issue, in that the action always comes back and picks up the shell. Rather it’s an odd alignment issue where the shell is not properly aligning with the chamber. It is true that 3” will probably work better, as they are longer, but I would like the gun to cycle target loads as well. Certainly more reliably than a 3% fail rate.

·
Registered
28,969 Posts
Hi Randy,

Thank for for taking the time to reply. These are 1 1/8 oz target loads. It seems to not be a gas issue, in that the action always comes back and picks up the shell. Rather it’s an odd alignment issue where the shell is not properly aligning with the chamber. It is true that 3” will probably work better, as they are longer, but I would like the gun to cycle target loads as well. Certainly more reliably than a 3% fail rate.
Well, of course I've not seen your gun, much less fired it, and I'm not in Canada. I have had problems with Challenger loads in times past.

If it was my gun, I'd run half of a box of the loads I'm going to use for hunting through it. If there are no issues, you're good to go-- and the rest can wait until after hunting season.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a Maxus 2 carbon fiber sporting that I bought last December and had the exact same problem. I shoot it extremely well and like it a lot, but the round from the magazine tube would hang like your picture shows about 3 times out of a hundred. I could also occasionally duplicate the malfunction by dropping a round in the ejection port and manually closing the bolt. i shoot mostly 1 1/8 1200fps cheap target loads from Winchester and Federal, and it almost always occurred with the Federals.

I sent it back to Browning twice with photos and a detailed description of the problem. They turned the gun around in a week or so both times. The first time they did nothing. They admitted the gunsmith didn’t even see the photos and description. The second time I talked to a service manager and they said they adjusted the carrier and some other tweaks. The service manager was on the phone with me when the gunsmith loaded and fired several dozen AA target loads with no issues.

It still happens from time to time, perhaps one out of a hundred rounds. What I have found is that the gun needs to be clean and lubed and held tight against your shoulder. If it happens now, it’s usually towards the end of a shooting session when the gun is dirty, the lube has burned off, and I get lazy with my form.

FWIW, it still bugs me a bit, as my old Auto 5 has always been 100 percent reliable regardless of conditions. I also shoot a Beretta A400 that started to give me some cycling problems, but I did some work on it and it’s back to 100 percent.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a Maxus 2 carbon fiber sporting that I bought last December and had the exact same problem. I shoot it extremely well and like it a lot, but the round from the magazine tube would hang like your picture shows about 3 times out of a hundred. I could also occasionally duplicate the malfunction by dropping a round in the ejection port and manually closing the bolt. i shoot mostly 1 1/8 1200fps cheap target loads from Winchester and Federal, and it almost always occurred with the Federals.

I sent it back to Browning twice with photos and a detailed description of the problem. They turned the gun around in a week or so both times. The first time they did nothing. They admitted the gunsmith didn’t even see the photos and description. The second time I talked to a service manager and they said they adjusted the carrier and some other tweaks. The service manager was on the phone with me when the gunsmith loaded and fired several dozen AA target loads with no issues.

It still happens from time to time, perhaps one out of a hundred rounds. What I have found is that the gun needs to be clean and lubed and held tight against your shoulder. If it happens now, it’s usually towards the end of a shooting session when the gun is dirty, the lube has burned off, and I get lazy with my form.

FWIW, it still bugs me a bit, as my old Auto 5 has always been 100 percent reliable regardless of conditions. I also shoot a Beretta A400 that started to give me some cycling problems, but I did some work on it and it’s back to 100 percent.
Thank you for your input on this. I was wondering if a 3” gun would fix the issue, but based on your description it sounds like it would not. I do believe form is a factor. I have been able to duplicate the jam by twisting the gun to the right as I close the bolt catch. It will cause the same jam. This leads me to believe that somehow when shooting crossers they gun is twisting under recoil, causing the shell to hang up.

I also think type of shell is a factor, well I mean in my sample obviously it is. But I feel AA target loads have a totally different shell than economic target loads and with the hull and crimp designs this could be a factor as to why it is catching.
Do you have a Winchester and federal target shell on hand? I found the federal shell to be 1.5mm longer than the challenger. I was curious if that could be enough to make a difference. If the Winchester happened to be even longer I would buy a box to try them. I firmly believe a longer shell will jam less.

I think as Randy suggested, I need to figure this out after duck season. I’m not keen to send my gun away with an unknown timeline. If it hangs up I can always use my Beretta, I just prefer how this one fits me.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I can’t find the YouTube video, but I recall a seeing a guy doing a comparison of a couple shotguns some months ago, and he could induce a malfunction in a Maxus by holding it above his head (and maybe upside down?). He did the same with a Beretta (iirc) and it functioned with no issues.

When I manually load a round through the ejection port, just to avoid any issues, I now always ensure the shell goes into the chamber before closing the bolt.

i can’t find any obvious differences in the length, crimp, or taper in the six brands of shells I have on the shelf.

i also think the transition on the right side of the rear end of the Maxus barrel where the shell hangs is quite pronounced/sharp. I’ve not summoned the courage to break out the Dremel to smooth that area out a bit, but I have had some success with honing and polishing other firearms that have some machining or rough spots

I also wonder if the extractor is a too aggressive as it grabs the shell during feeding causing the nose to cant to the right.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can’t find the YouTube video, but I recall a seeing a guy doing a comparison of a couple shotguns some months ago, and he could induce a malfunction in a Maxus by holding it above his head (and maybe upside down?). He did the same with a Beretta (iirc) and it functioned with no issues.

When I manually load a round through the ejection port, just to avoid any issues, I now always ensure the shell goes into the chamber before closing the bolt.

i can’t find any obvious differences in the length, crimp, or taper in the six brands of shells I have on the shelf.

i also think the transition on the right side of the rear end of the Maxus barrel where the shell hangs is quite pronounced/sharp. I’ve not summoned the courage to break out the Dremel to smooth that area out a bit, but I have had some success with honing and polishing other firearms that have some machining or rough spots

I also wonder if the extractor is a too aggressive as it grabs the shell during feeding causing the nose to cant to the right.
That guy is Steve from Targetfocusedlife on YouTube. It was a solid review. I bought the Maxus after watching that review, thinking I am not shooting over my head what does it matter. The SBE3 also does not cycle over the head but cycles reliably from the shoulder.
You definitely could be onto something with the extractor pulling the shell to the right and causing the jam. It happens in the exact same spot every time.
Have you put the shells you have on hand on a table to see their heights? Couple mm doesn’t look like a lot, but I am curious that you got more jams with federal than Winchester. I got far more jams with challenger over federal. I’m just wondering if the Winchester is even 1-2mm longer, that could be enough to align the shell before the bolt closes. That’s my working theory anyways.
It is discouraging to me that they were not able to fix your gun, but you said they fired Winchester AA through it no problems. Makes me wonder if the Maxus is super picky.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think it’s a matter of a lot of tiny little things.

I mic’d a couple rounds. No real differences.

some of the cheap target shells‘ crimps “might” be a bit less uniform, but that might be me seeing things that aren’t there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it’s a matter of a lot of tiny little things.

I mic’d a couple rounds. No real differences.

some of the cheap target shells‘ crimps “might” be a bit less uniform, but that might be me seeing things that aren’t there.
Well thanks for looking into that. Seems like shell length would not be the reason then. After the hunting season I will take it into a warranty center and see if there is anything they can do. I may try Winchester ammo, just for the sake of it and see if I get better results.

·
Registered
13 Posts

I have had 12 jams on the challenger and 1 jam on the federal. All the jams are the exact same as the picture attached. The shell seems to get slammed into the side of the barrel, near the ejection port.

Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas on what to try? Gun is cleaned after every use. Browning says it will be 3 months before a gunsmith sees my gun and duck season is right around the corner.

I love everything about this shotgun, except the reliability. Unfortunately with semi’s, reliability is a massive thing for me.
My 3" Maxus 2 was recently returned from Browning with the same issues you guys are seeing. I sent a detailed letter, showing the problem existed throughout a documented 5700 rounds. I tried about 19 different ammo combinations from 1 oz to 1-1/2 oz, 1145 fps to 1300+ fps. My gun regularly malfunctioned by dropping a round in the ejection port and manually closing the bolt. Everyone was quick to offer the "let it break in", "try a different shell", and "don't load it through the ejection port...that's what speed load is for". When I called after the gun was returned, they wouldn't tell me what was done to the gun, but you could see some polishing on the carrier.

I'm only about 375 rounds in post return from browning with 3 failures to feed on the second round and a handful of failures when dropping a shell in the ejection port.

Like Pjstreng, I feel it is a combination of the sharp barrel transition, extractor, and carrier contact/tolerances all made worse when the gun gets dirty and lubrication wears off. I would make sure the extractor has some lube.

With the mental toll it takes on the shooter when the gun jams, it makes me miss a few clays for the next few stations, I'm about to sell the gun and move on.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My 3" Maxus 2 was recently returned from Browning with the same issues you guys are seeing. I sent a detailed letter, showing the problem existed throughout a documented 5700 rounds. I tried about 19 different ammo combinations from 1 oz to 1-1/2 oz, 1145 fps to 1300+ fps. My gun regularly malfunctioned by dropping a round in the ejection port and manually closing the bolt. Everyone was quick to offer the "let it break in", "try a different shell", and "don't load it through the ejection port...that's what speed load is for". When I called after the gun was returned, they wouldn't tell me what was done to the gun, but you could see some polishing on the carrier.

I'm only about 375 rounds in post return from browning with 3 failures to feed on the second round and a handful of failures when dropping a shell in the ejection port.

Like Pjstreng, I feel it is a combination of the sharp barrel transition, extractor, and carrier contact/tolerances all made worse when the gun gets dirty and lubrication wears off. I would make sure the extractor has some lube.

With the mental toll it takes on the shooter when the gun jams, it makes me miss a few clays for the next few stations, I'm about to sell the gun and move on.
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I agree with the mental toll. I want to feel like my auto is going to function flawlessly. A 1% fail rate is not something acceptable to me when guns that are half the price do far better. I got a lot of the same advice as you, break it in etc. I don’t see how a break In will resolve a chamber alignment issue. It actually really surprises me a decent amount of people are having this issue, other channels I’m on expressed the same issue, and they don’t seem to be able to fix it. I’ve had several people tell me their guns had multiple trips to Browning with no resolution. Not super encouraging.

You mentioned lubing the extractor. Do you just put a drop of oil on it or something? You also mentioned they polished the carrier, where on the carrier did they polish? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FWIW, I shot four rounds of wobble trap doubles (simultaneous target presentations all over the damn place) with the cheap federals and didn’t have a single hiccup.
Not super versed in trap but that’s 200 rounds right? If it continues in that direction it’s certainly not a bad thing. I could handle a jam every thousand rounds or so. Just seems like I have a long way to go to get there. Do you have any lubrication tips or spots to focus on or making sure they are well oiled?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I agree with the mental toll. I want to feel like my auto is going to function flawlessly. A 1% fail rate is not something acceptable to me when guns that are half the price do far better. I got a lot of the same advice as you, break it in etc. I don’t see how a break In will resolve a chamber alignment issue. It actually really surprises me a decent amount of people are having this issue, other channels I’m on expressed the same issue, and they don’t seem to be able to fix it. I’ve had several people tell me their guns had multiple trips to Browning with no resolution. Not super encouraging.

You mentioned lubing the extractor. Do you just put a drop of oil on it or something? You also mentioned they polished the carrier, where on the carrier did they polish? Thanks for your help.
I have seen the issue on other forums as well, most are 3.5" guns. I bought the 3" with hopes of having better luck with the 2-3/4"/lighter shells.

Yes, just a small drop on the extractor, move it with your hand, and it will move around when firing might help some with a new gun. They polished the right side of my carrier as shown in the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
100 clays total. 50 pairs.

I apply a generous amount of CLP to anywhere there is metal to metal contact and often squirt a few drops on the bolt rails in between games. The malfunctions are extremely infrequent now, but they still happen.

The next time it happens, I’m going to smooth out that transition area on the barrel, especially these two places. Those two little jagged spots are what seems to be grabbing the nose of the shell.

Wood Orange Door Eyewear Musical instrument

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have seen the issue on other forums as well, most are 3.5" guns. I bought the 3" with hopes of having better luck with the 2-3/4"/lighter shells.

Yes, just a small drop on the extractor, move it with your hand, and it will move around when firing might help some with a new gun. They polished the right side of my carrier as shown in the picture.
I will definitely try to get some oil in there and moving around. That repair by Browning looks so ridiculous to me. A minor polish on the shell lifter, I don’t even know how they would think that would fix the issue. If anything it needs material smoothed on the chamber entrance. My A400 has a super gradual ramp top and bottom before the chamber and I cannot get that gun to jam even if I try. The Maxus I can jam 100% of the time if I put a shell in a specific orientation on the shell lifter.

Did you ever put 3” loads through your gun or have you only used 2 3/4”?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
100 clays total. 50 pairs.

I apply a generous amount of CLP to anywhere there is metal to metal contact and often squirt a few drops on the bolt rails in between games. The malfunctions are extremely infrequent now, but they still happen.

The next time it happens, I’m going to smooth out that transition area on the barrel, especially these two places. Those two little jagged spots are what seems to be grabbing the nose of the shell.

View attachment 57098
I definitely think that is the problem area. A lot can happen under recoil and the action has nothing but hopes and prayers guiding the shell into the chamber. They need some transition zone to support the shell into the chamber. Making a gradual transition in that area I feel would resolve feeding issues. As you said though something is definitely up with the extractor as it’s pulling the shell high and right as the bolt closes. If you look at our pictures it’s all the exact same issue. Stuns me Browning has no effective fix.

And sorry you said you shot four rounds of double trap. Does that mean your whole session was 100 rounds or 400 rounds? If you went 400 rounds with no jam that’s not terrible. 100 is definitely in the realm of more testing required.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The more I look at the pictures and from my own experience, the problem is the nose of the cartridge gets hung up in that rough and jagged transition area.

Well, I gathered up some courage and just now smoothed off those jagged points with a Dremel and polished the entire transition area with honing oil impregnated 0000 steel wool wrapped around a bore brush chucked in a low speed drill.

I couldn’t get the gun to misfeed after loading live rounds through the ejection port and manually closing the bolt a dozen times. That’s a good sign. I’ll be going to the range on Wednesday afternoon so we’ll see if that took care of it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The more I look at the pictures and from my own experience, the problem is the nose of the cartridge gets hung up in that rough and jagged transition area.

Well, I gathered up some courage and just now smoothed off those jagged points with a Dremel and polished the entire transition area with honing oil impregnated 0000 steel wool wrapped around a bore brush chucked in a low speed drill.

I couldn’t get the gun to misfeed after loading live rounds through the ejection port and manually closing the bolt a dozen times. That’s a good sign. I’ll be going to the range on Wednesday afternoon so we’ll see if that took care of it.
Be sure to post your update here! Could help others out, including myself.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts