Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
It is not due to the fact that most people are "packin'." It is due to the fact that the criminals know, or at least think, that most people in rural areas are "packin'." If they thought that people were carrying in the malls this BS would not happen. There is no fame to be had when the news report is, "some idiot pulled an AK in the mall today. Sherry Brown shot him in the chest as she was worried for her child's safety. The child is fine, the idiot with the AK is dead." It wouldn't even make national news.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I understand that the Omaha Mall is no longer a gun free zone. "We get so soon old and so late smart."

·
Banned
30,315 Posts
I was on the local school board back when the Colombine shooting happened. The superintendent announced to the board that he'd taken it on himself to require all doors to the school be locked, except for the front door.

I wasn't very popular when I pointed out that would only require a school shooter to come in the front door. After all, the others told me, we have a school secretary up front. With no gun, of course. So, I guess we'll ensure that she gets shot first?

I pointed out that the only possible way to stop one of those school shootings, once they started, was to have armed school teachers, who carried concealed. That would present it's own problems, as you'd be running the risk of a teacher getting pissed off and shooting the kids, or one of the kids knowing the teacher had a gun, and stealing the gun, but all in all, if what you were worried about was stopping bad guys who came in the school with guns, the only way to deal with it was to have good guys in the school with guns. We could hire an armed security guard, but he'd only turn out to be a Barney Fife, and hassle the kids, and he'd likely be the first one shot if somebody ever decided to target the school. No, I said, we're certain to not do any of those things. We'll lock the side doors so it looks like we've done something, but we'll just trust to God and luck that it won't ever happen here.

But, I was wrong.

The Superintendent said that Kleibold and Harris had lots of weapons in their back packs. We could also ban back packs, he said.

The majority of the board did decide that was a bad idea. But, they did decide to leave the side doors locked. There wasn't any concealed carry back in 1999, so we couldn't arm the school teachers, and we didn't think we had the money to hire an armed guard. Not that we'd have done either, if it had been legal or we'd have had the money.

And, we offered counseling services for any of the kids who were worried about Columbine, and by the next month, we worried about some other issue.

So far, locking the side doors has worked. No school shootings yet. Oh, and we've put up lots of signs that have a gun in a circle with a red cross through it, so even if a school shooter can't read English, he'll know we don't allow guns in the school.

After all, children are our most precious asset and our hope for the future. We can't be too careful in protecting them. :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts