Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
Beretta 682 (12g), 686 (12g), 391 (12g), 391 (20g x 2), 16 gauge SxS Belgian guild gun
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Reloaders,

So I "graduated" from a pair of Mec 600 Jr presses in 20 and 12 to a Mec Grabber in 12 and a Mec 650 in 20. So the Grabber resizes the shell in its collet press, but the 650 doesn't have that. It also doesn't seem to resize to the degree that the Mec 600 Jr presses did. My question is should I get a Mec collet sizer for the 650 and run a separate sizing operation prior to reloading? I am thinking it is going to burn me eventually with a shell not chambering, but if I don't have to do an extra operation I don't want to.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
353 Posts
The MEC 650 comes with a resizing ring tool that you install for that singular purpose.
If you only have one 20 gauge gun there is no need for a resizer.
When I used a 650, I also used the super sizer.

·
Premium Member
Beretta 682 (12g), 686 (12g), 391 (12g), 391 (20g x 2), 16 gauge SxS Belgian guild gun
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The MEC 650 comes with a resizing ring tool that you install for that singular purpose.
If you only have one 20 gauge gun there is no need for a resizer.
When I used a 650, I also used the super sizer.
Thanks!

I will look at the 650 again. I wonder if I am missing something obvious because the cases don't show the resizing marks like the my old single stage presses did. I have 2 semi-auto 20 gauges (Beretta 391) I feed and that is what I am concerned about i.e. different chamber dimensions.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I would just TRY it without messing with a sizer. You may find no issues, I used a 650 for several years and got many hulls from the gun club trash bins. Never had a hull that wouldnt fit in the guns I used.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Is the resize ring adjust downward enough?

I'm using a SuperSizer with a 600 Jr. and also the resize ring as I de-prime. Last year I bought several thousand once-fired hulls and can readily measure differences in the various chambers. In one batch of AACF's, about 10% of the hulls are badly out of round. The ring re-sizer does a better job of truing them back to round.

I still remember the day, this 17 yr old was over a mile away from the truck (and tools), trying to whittle out a stick in order to knock out a shell not properly resized. So I invest the extra effort, not really a big deal for retired folks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
With my 650's, I always use the SuperSizer. Luckily, when I bought the first 650 a few years ago (for the princely sum of $80), it had a SuperSizer with it. Grabbing 4-6 empties in a handful at a time, the sizing operation goes pretty quickly.

·
Super Moderator
8,331 Posts
Whether you have to resize when shooting one gun depends. I was shooting and loading AACF hulls in a 410. Over time they grew to the point I could not chamber them. But I shot them until the ends were no good. The 650 went down the road. If you load your hulls a few times and let them fly from an auto loader you might never need to resize.
Steve

Reactions: KYLongrifle

·
Super Moderator
8,331 Posts
I will look at the 650 again. I wonder if I am missing something obvious.
I doubt if you are missing anything. To use the resizer on a 650 you remove the deprime punch, install a resizer die that looks just like the one on a 600, insert a "special disk" into the shell carrier plate were the hull normally travels and then go to town resizing a batch. Convert it all back again and reload as normal.
Steve

·
Registered
66 Posts
I used a 12ga 650 for years reloading for both a Beretta O/U and a Beretta semi-auto without issue, but I started with new, unfired shells and reused the hulls until they were worn out. My recommendation is to reload and try without resizing. If that works, great. If not a Supersizer is the way to go if you want to keep the 650. It doesn't take a lot of extra time.

·
Registered
446 Posts
If you are shooting gas guns you will need to resize. The guns unlock before the pressure is all gone and the base of the hull expands slightly as it's being pulled from the chamber. If using an o/u or pump no need to resize. I have a 650 for my 20ga and any time I use shells in the o/u no problem. Shells used in a gas gun get resized in my super sizer.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a grabber. I haven't set it up yet. It uses a collet deal like a size master. I assume you can adjust it to resize to the dimension you were getting on your 600?

·
Registered
644 Posts
I use a 650 plus a super sizer; load for 4 different shotguns and use once fired hulls. So I resize hulls in large batches then reload them.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have a grabber. I haven't set it up yet. It uses a collet deal like a size master. I assume you can adjust it to resize to the dimension you were getting on your 600?
The resizing collet on the Grabber, unless it has been replaced by the new model resizer, is not very adjustable, if at all.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I use a 650 plus a super sizer; load for 4 different shotguns and use once fired hulls. So I resize hulls in large batches then reload them.
That is pretty much what I think I will end up doing. I can't see dropping the big $$$ on another Grabber or something else when the 650 works. I'll get a Supersizer and do the 20 gauge hulls in batches. Once they are all resized I will load a bunch like normal.

·
Registered
644 Posts
That is pretty much what I think I will end up doing. I can't see dropping the big $$$ on another Grabber or something else when the 650 works. I'll get a Supersizer and do the 20 gauge hulls in batches. Once they are all resized I will load a bunch like normal.
I have done over 10,000 rounds like that. I like the 650 because its easy to store when not in use.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Yes, you can adjust the collet to give same amount of resizing, or even more, than your 600 Jr. The more you tighten it, though, the faster it will break a finger if you don't keep it lubed correctly and with good quality lube.

good luck, garrisonjoe

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
If you still have the 20 gauge 600 Jr, use it to resize and deprime your hulls, the load them on the 650. Super sizers are not cheap.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts