Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may have been covered and I may even have things all wrong, but I believe I found a problem with my 9000 that has been causing powder to drop unexpectedly. What seems to have been happening was that the wad guide clamp (wd guide clip assembly) was tapping the trip rod, when the cut out in the clamp (clip assembly) should permit the two to clear. Perhaps my trip rod is slightly bent or the guide may be off a hair. I don't know, but to fix the situation I took a small file and widened the recessed area of the left side of the clamp (clip assembly) by a few thousands of an inch.

If I can figure out how to upload pictures, I will.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After reviewing the manual for the MEC 9000 GN, I don't believe the filing was needed to allow the trip rod to clear the wad guide clip assembly. The clip assembly merely needed to be lowered a fraction of an inch.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
MEC has outstanding customer service. I have a 9000 and will upgrade to a Spolargold. Hey the 9000 works pretty much flawlessly. My only issue was failure to drop primers and I developed a burr at the top of the primer tube that was caused by primers tipping and I had to file the top off the primer seating rod, it was to high and kept kicking off the safety. I use pledge furniture polish on the primer tray to help primers flow down the tray.
I wish MEC would include their tricks in their instruction book. But again, their customer service is first class.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
The wad guide holder clamps onto a 5/16 rod that runs down the front of the press. Low on this rod there is a C clip that drops down and contacts the base of the press. But further up on this same rod, there are TWO grooves and another C clip. For 2 3/4 inch shells the C clip should be in the lower groove. The wad guide holder should be resting on this clip. If this is true, there is about 1/4 inch clearance between the wad guide holder and the latch trigger rod.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, albatros. That is how I set mine up after my first post was made and I saw the problem. (Mine had been set so that the bottom was slightly above the "C" clip.) On mine I note that measuring to the top left side of the clamp/clip assembly/whatever it is called, I have less than 1/4" of clearance, but that distance can change when the shell lifter height is adjusted up or down. Regardless, the wad clamp now easily clears the trip rod.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.