Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
You are going to have to be a bit clearer. What exactly are you asking? The bar is actuated by a lever. On the end of the lever is a small screw with a sleeve on it. This sleeve acts like a roller and bears on the end of the bar. Replacement parts are available from Mec and Gamalliel.

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
ranch23 said:
I have seen a picture of a bearing on the bar actuator of a Mec press. Any ideas?
Totally unnecessary, and a gross overkill. The MEC bolt, bushing, and roller, are totally sufficient. A MEC roller kit, part #M8735 from Gamaliel will get the job done for $4.95.

DLM

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
While you can say it is unnecessary, almost every charge bar I have has a serious gouge from the stock actuator arm, because it doesn't roll smoothly.

·
Super Moderator
7,643 Posts
John Henry said:
While you can say it is unnecessary, almost every charge bar I have has a serious gouge from the stock actuator arm, because it doesn't roll smoothly.
This would be a very interesting improvement if only to see if it stopped that gouge from occurring. My only concern is for a bearing to work correctly (rotate) it should be equally loaded on all sides. For that reason it might not work any better then what we have. Plus we would still have a hardened bearing surface pushing against an aluminum face.

Steve

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Mec uses an almost identical design at the bottom of the push rod in the column. It has A LOT more pressure on it than the one pushing the charge bar. If you want to start installing bearings, that would be a good place to start.

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
I totally disagree with that line of thinking.

No, the original presses didn't have a roller. Just a rounded end on the lever. In that case, the roller was a big improvement. Yes, those would gouge the bars

Those equipped with a roller, only need a drop of oil every 10,000 rounds or so. Imagine that!!

I have 9000's with easily 100,000 shells thru them and much more. Those all have the rollers, and do have a shiny mark on them, but are not gouged.

DLM

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Even the ones w/o a roller (dad's 310) still work fine a ton-load of shells later (way over 100K).

Yep, there's a groove worn in the end of the bar (not really a gouge), but it's travel adjustment more than compensates.

Zero use to put a roller bearing there, let alone Delrin.
Those charge bars are hard anodized, they aren't dead soft aluminum. That anodizing doesn't rub off easily.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Bought a bearing for a couple dollars a few years back after a friend told me about it, I use a chargebar on a 9000H. 12000 to 15000 loads per year.. works fine, turns as it should, bought a tiny sealed bearing so no need for even a couple drops of oil so gathers no contamination. It works, I like it. Even if it does not help, it does no harm....... Larry

·
Registered
791 Posts
While I would agree that the roller bearing is not necessary, I have tried them and I do see a measurable difference when used on a 12GA 9000 press.

I think the force to pre crimp and close a 12GA hull is greater than in the smaller gauges and I can feel the difference with the bearing installed.

On my smaller gauge machines, I don't bother with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts