Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Mec 600 Jr for a 20 ga, 3 weeks ago.
The supplied charge bar is to drop 7/8 oz of shot (7 1/2).
When I measure my shot charge on a scale, I'm 20 grains short of a full load. I've checked this on several different days and it's always short 20 grains, which is about 10-11 pellets.

How do I solve this problem? Emails to MEC have not been helpful.

Your thoughts please!

Richard

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Richard

Welcome to the forum. It is a surprise to all of us, that charge bars & bushings are not PRECISELY accurate. They vary from drop to drop.

You can live without the 20 grains/ 10 pellets, but you can probably improve the situation. The shortage won't hurt. Same with your powder bushing. It varies with drops also.

I only load for "field" loads" so I measure each shell with precision on a ONE-BY-ONE basis, and its slow going; but if you shoot a lot, you will need to live with the shortage.

The alternative, is "jerry-rigging". You know, use a larger Bushing, stick tape inside it to get near exactly the drop you want, or epoxy a piece of plastic in the bushing and use trial and error to see how you can diminish the Inner Volume to drop what you need. Otherwise, even grind out a $3.99 Bushing so that it holds and drops 15 pellets of lead more than the factory specification with consistency.

Shortages = OK, Overages = BAD

/

/

/

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
I wouldn't worry about 20 grains as the amount will change with the size of the shot, and even the amount of antimony in the shot, and how much the reloader is vibrated during the reloading process.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Get a small rat-tail file and remove a*small*amount of material from the hole in shot side of the charge bar.
You don't have to be loading shot shells while you're doing this. The lead pellets don't pack down like powder does.
Remember: only remove a small amount of the charge bar before checking the results.
But, 20 pellets? Is it worth it?

·
Registered
123 Posts
My 7/8 charge bar is the same. Instead of dropping .875 oz it drops about .860. I've shot several hundred of these slightly light loads with no issues. I'm sure there are guys here on the board that have shot 1000s of them without any problems.

Dave

·
Registered
954 Posts
There is an insert in the charge bar ( at least on the MEC progressive loaders ) - and the reason its there is to let you fine tune your shot drops. As they wear - you replace the insert ...... its easy to fine tune them / but the only time I've found them to be off much is when the bar isn't traveling its full length - so make sure you have it adjusted properly as well.

While MEC sets their loaders up pretty well / they still need to be fine tuned when you get them ......it just takes a little time and patience. You can call them during the day / they're very helpful --- but I don't know how well they respond to emails.

Fine tuning powder bushings - is best done on a lathe - to spin them and open them up a little with some emery cloth ( go lightly ). If you need to tighten one up / borrow some clear fingernail polish from your wife or girlfriend - and coat the inside of the bushing - and then fine tune it with emery cloth again. And mark the bushing / with a permanent marker .......

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
lablover1 said:
I just bought a Mec 600 Jr for a 20 ga, 3 weeks ago.
The supplied charge bar is to drop 7/8 oz of shot (7 1/2).
When I measure my shot charge on a scale, I'm 20 grains short of a full load. I've checked this on several different days and it's always short 20 grains, which is about 10-11 pellets.

How do I solve this problem? Emails to MEC have not been helpful.

Your thoughts please!

Richard
Very simple. I have opened all my bars to throw the full charge. I use a tapered reamer and ream from the botton of the bar, till it throws the correct charge. A drill can be used or a file or a Dremmel Tool, anything to remove a SMALL amount of material from inside the bar. Or you can leave them as is, and I seriously doubt you will ,ever know the difference. The bars were sized to throw the correct amount using soft lead shot. Hard shot contains antimony which is lighter than lead, and thus weighs a tad less for a given volume than does soft shot.

You are getting the same VOLUME of shot, just not the same weight. At any rate you can use them as is, or ream them to get the full weight. Your choice. Doubt it makes a whit of difference, other than in your mind.

DLM

·
Registered
877 Posts
BigJimP said:
If you need to tighten one up / borrow some clear fingernail polish from your wife or girlfriend - and coat the inside of the bushing - and then fine tune it with emery cloth again. And mark the bushing / with a permanent marker .......
CAUTION NOTE:

This is VERY IMPORTANT....Be very careful who you return the finger nail polish to...If you borrowed it from your girlfriend, DO NOT return it to your WIFE..!!!!!!

Sorry...I just could not help myself. ( I apologize )
Please forgive me for jumping in here.

Don2

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Don2 said:
BigJimP said:
If you need to tighten one up / borrow some clear fingernail polish from your wife or girlfriend - and coat the inside of the bushing - and then fine tune it with emery cloth again. And mark the bushing / with a permanent marker .......
CAUTION NOTE:

This is VERY IMPORTANT....Be very careful who you return the finger nail polish to...If you borrowed it from your girlfriend, DO NOT return it to your WIFE..!!!!!!

Sorry...I just could not help myself. ( I apologize )
Please forgive me for jumping in here.

Don2
That was a good one!

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Don's gone out of control! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
BigJimP said:
There is an insert in the charge bar ( at least on the MEC progressive loaders ) - and the reason its there is to let you fine tune your shot drops.
Actually, I think that white rubber insert is to prevent shot shearing.

Dan

·
Administrator
23,819 Posts
DanG said:
BigJimP said:
There is an insert in the charge bar ( at least on the MEC progressive loaders ) - and the reason its there is to let you fine tune your shot drops.
Actually, I think that white rubber insert is to prevent shot shearing.

Dan
That would be correct, stopping shot shearing is the answer.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Ok, so maybe I shouldn't be modifying that rubber insert ... didn't know, thanks..

In fact, I just checked the MEC manuals online - and it discusses the soft insert in the charge bar is there to prevent shot shearing .... It probably wouldn't hurt me to read those manuals once in a while even though I've been using MEC loaders for 40 years ...

·
Registered
566 Posts
borrow some clear fingernail polish from your wife or girlfriend
Just make sure you don't return your girlfriend's fingernail polish to your wife or vice versa

Sorry I didn't read down far enough to see someone else used this line!!!!!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
20 grains, or 10-11 pellets probably isn't worth worrying about. It's just the principal of the thing for me.
If it's advertised to drop 7/8 oz, then it should.
The powder bushing (# 24) is dropping within .2-.3 grains of powder consistantly.

But you know, 10-11 pellets per load could improve your score quite a bit. And I need the help. :)

·
Administrator
23,819 Posts
lablover1 said:
20 grains, or 10-11 pellets probably isn't worth worrying about. It's just the principal of the thing for me.
If it's advertised to drop 7/8 oz, then it should.
The powder bushing (# 24) is dropping within .2-.3 grains of powder consistantly.

But you know, 10-11 pellets per load could improve your score quite a bit. And I need the help. :)
I tell you what you do, go out and get some #9 shot that is pure lead and then tell us what the shot drop is.
That is what Mec sized the bar to use because it has been available. Then go out and get some #2 magnum shot and see what the bar drops. "Oh, but it ain't the same", the guy said, "it must be Mec's fault, can I get the bar warrantied? Danged poorly made stuff"
It just is one of those variables that Mec has no control of, so you better get used to it! :roll:

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
lablover1 said:
Since the bushing measures shot by volume, and since the a given size of shot will occupy the same space whether it's pure lead or a lighter alloy, you're going to end up with the same number of pellets, obviously.

Concentrate on centering the target and forget the 10 extra pellets.

Dan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.