Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe you guys can help me with this one :?

Just got a MEC 600 Jr set up in 12ga. Looking at the crimp stations, I can tell it's set up (I think) for a roll crimp. My question is what exactly do I need to order so I can set up to do 6 or 8 point crimps. I see spindex kits and also crimp starters. Will the parts just go in the first of the crimp stations or is there something to swap out for both? Thanks in advance guys.

Kevin

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Kevin,
NO MEC press will roll crimp, and none are set up to do so. They only do fold crimps. The 6 or 8 folds are determined by the crimp starter. The final crimp station only finishes the crimp, no matter which number of folds in the crimp

DLM

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The crimp starter is a completely smooth cone shape on mine. I thought that would be for a roll crimp since I didn't see the saw tooth to do the folds. So, I think I have my vocabulary wrong but still need to swap out that first station. Better to order the "kit" or just the "starter?"

·
Registered
17,955 Posts
You probably have a crimp starter for paper hulls. Paper hulls have a much better fold memory than plastic and as such just needed to be nudged along a bit to get them to fold on the creases. A smooth starter would do that nicely. On the other hand plastic hulls need a bit more persuasion. The lined, toothed starters need to be used for them. Obviously 6 for 6, and 8 for 8 segment crimps. I've heard folks tell that they never change from the 8 segment starter with perfect results, I haven't been that lucky.

BP

·
Registered
1,222 Posts

·
Administrator
23,246 Posts
falcon5 said:
Thanks a bunch guys. That'll get me trackin'.
Call Mec, they have a part# for the whole kit, includes everything you need.

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Curly-Nohair said:
falcon5 said:
That kit number is #8462-12 Spindex Kit. That is a 12 ga. kit, includes mounting hardware and both 6 and 8 fold crimp starters. MEC's price is $8.20. Gamaliel's is probably a tad cheaper.

DLM

·
Administrator
23,246 Posts
D L Marcum said:
Curly-Nohair said:
falcon5 said:
That kit number is #8462-12 Spindex Kit. That is a 12 ga. kit, includes mounting hardware and both 6 and 8 fold crimp starters. MEC's price is $8.20. Gamaliel's is probably a tad cheaper.

DLM
I just went through the online parts list at Gamaliel and it is not listed, but he might have success with a phone call direct to Gamaliel Toll-Free: (800) 356-6230. That way he gets to talk to those nice folks. They will sure jump thru hoops to get you what you need.

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Curly is more than likely correct. Gamaliel doesn't carry every number of MEC parts. They will have the individual starters, both 6 and 8 fold, (#8439-12-6 0r -8), but may not have the kit. If you have the snap-on Zytel crimp starter mounting stud already on the press, then the starters are all you need to replace the smooth cone starter.

DLM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts