Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone give me the I.D. of a #36 powder bushing. I have a small lathe and I'm going to make my own bushings if I can find out the I.D.'s of the bushing for certain powders. I just bought a can of Herco and I'm going to need a 36 bushing for my recipe. Thanks

·
Administrator
23,322 Posts
petey said:
Can someone give me the I.D. of a #36 powder bushing. I have a small lathe and I'm going to make my own bushings if I can find out the I.D.'s of the bushing for certain powders. I just bought a can of Herco and I'm going to need a 36 bushing for my recipe. Thanks
If you are going by the chart, you are likely to be disappointed. Take any bushing near the size you need and get an average weight of drop using the powder desired. Take 10 drops and average. Compute the volume of the bushing, and use that info to find the proper volume of the new bushing. Compute the diameter of the new bushing from that. I have made many bushings this way and usually hit within .2 of the desired weight.
Sorry but I do not have a #36 bushing to weigh for you. But I thought this procedure might help you to get what you really need.

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Petey
Curly is absolutely correct. The bushing charts are only a starting place and more often than not, are 1 to 3 bushing sizes off what's actually needed.

Bushings are cheap and there's no legitamate reason to spend the time and effort to make them. At about $2 a pop, it's simply not worth your time and effort.

Best scenatio is to order a set of bushings, (5 or 6), that will cover about all needs in the gauge and with most all popular powders. You then will always have the bushing you need for whatever powder you wish to use.

Occasionally you need a bushing that's "In Between" the sizes available. That's where your lathe will come in handy, as you can make those, (or modify a factory one), and get exactly what you need. By measuring the factory bushings, you will then know just where you need to be with your modified bushing.

DLM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.