Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought one of these for my 600Jr and I'm wondering if there are any informed opinions about them. I thought it might be better than a bucket full of bushings. Cruising through the forum I never see any mention of it, just bushings. Any thoughts on these devices? Thanks. Good hunting and good luck.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Have owned and used a universal charge bar since the 80,s. Takes a bit of tinkering as the powder chart settings (green sheet) are only close at best. Once you get the "knack" of it's not a bad thing. Plenty of discussion about UCB's in the past.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Go up to the top of the page and click on Search. Then enter Universal and Charge. You'll get 33 threads, including this one. I know several of the guys swear by them, others swear at them. I just have a bucket full of bushings.

·
Registered
649 Posts
They make great paperweights.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
I was once an avowed advocate of the UCB but no longer am. I have a half dozen or more of them gathering dust in various places now -- but nary a one in a reloading press.

They cost $30, plus tax or shipping. For that you can buy more than 15 powder bushings.

A new one usually takes an hour or more of sanding, honing, testing and more sanding, honing, testing to get the thing moving smoothly through the channel. I've never had a new one yet that didn't require that process, which is a PITA.

There is a chart that usually comes with a new UCB. It's about as accurate as a powder bushing chart, which is to say it'll get you in the ballpark but you've got to tinker and weigh charges to get the right setting.

The real-world reality is this: Shotgun shells have a fairly wide range of acceptable charges and there's usually a bushing that will get you acceptably near the velocity you want.

Anyone who thinks he'll get more accurate shot or powder charges is kidding himself. The UCB is still a volumetric measure and suffers from the same inconsistency as charge bar cavities and powder bushings.

BUT... There are some recipes and powders for which the bushing jump is simply too much and in that situation the UCB is a good gadget to have on hand.

Another point in its favor is the ability to adjust shot charges without having to buy another bar for from $9 to $14.

At a minimum, I have at least one MEC progressive and one MEC single-stage reloader for each of the gauges and .410 bore.

They all have standard charge bars and standard bushings, and I get exactly the shot and powder I want from each.

But maybe I'll take Rem 3200's suggestion, hunt them down and use them as paperweights.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I like double-confirmation of a published load. Having a fixed shot & powder drop from a fixed charge bar & bushing, and then checking them a few times with a scale, greatly reduces the chance of error. It also makes switching loads much faster.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Case: You should not take the chance of one of them getting mixed up with you bushing bars. For your own protection you should get rid of them immediately. Send them to me and I will dispose of them for you.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
If I loaded one load, one recipe, and I did get a precise drop form a bushing, and that next lot of powder did not, or could not change, then I might consider going back to bushings.

As long as I load I will have a UCB, I loaded up three completely different loads tonite----125 of each to try, different shot and powders or different drops of a powder. I spent less than 5 minutes going thru those changes, and rechecked with scales three times on different drops. No way would I have gone thru the grief involved with bushings in getting there. :?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I beleive that the Universal charge bar is as accurate as a bushing once you get it set. One thing to remember is that you have to make the final turn counter clockwise for the newer bars.

The BIG advantage is that you can put the exact amount called for by the recipe in the shell. When you use a regular shot bar with bushings the shot varies considerably. Low antimonty shot drops near the published amount. High antimonty shot drops much lighter. Number 9 drops heavier than #7.5.

I would throw the charts away for both bushing and the UCB and use a scale to confirm. A good digital scale makes it easier.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Huntnshoot

I put a UCB in my 600Jr. to try new loads out. I tried 3 different shot drops and 6 different powder drops. it did take some time to get the settings down at first however I kept a log of every thing I did so it is a snap to reproduce a load. I have three loads I use now two powder and 2 shot drops are all I use. I will be going to a progressive press and will have a UCB on that as well. I check the drops reguarly on a bar scale. Very simple process now...

Have Fun

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Quickshot said:
Case: You should not take the chance of one of them getting mixed up with you bushing bars. For your own protection you should get rid of them immediately. Send them to me and I will dispose of them for you.
Darn tootin', now that they are all honed to fit, I think you should get rid of those nasty things! (I'll take one too :oops: )

:D

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
12GA guy said:
Quickshot said:
Darn tootin', now that they are all honed to fit, I think you should get rid of those nasty things! (I'll take one too :oops: )

:D
Your concerns for helping me rid myself of surplus inventory are duly noted and greatly appreciated, but I think I'll hang on to the UCSs a bit longer.

I might suddenly decide I can't live without them, as I previously thought.

BTW: Where were you guys when I was extolling the virtues of the UCB in a marathon argument with Scott Winders which went on and on for countless pages, ad nauseum?

Coulda used a little support on that one...

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
BTW: Where were you guys when I was extolling the virtues of the UCB in a marathon argument with Scott Winders which went on and on for countless pages, ad nauseum?

Coulda used a little support on that one...
Oh really, I can't remember not argueing the virtues of the UCB here, But a wise man should realize after breaking the 100th 2X4 over a mules head, if he hasn't responded by then he likely isn't going to :roll: :roll:

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
LOL @ TT! :lol: :lol:

I've got a UCB on both my 600 JR and my 9000G. I like the flexibility of being able to change loads on the fly. If you're stuck on a single load and that is all you plan on using, then I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
TexasTon said:
Oh really, I can't remember not argueing the virtues of the UCB here, But a wise man should realize after breaking the 100th 2X4 over a mules head, if he hasn't responded by then he likely isn't going to :roll: :roll:
I wasn't referring to your lack of support.

But you're right... Scotty never saw the light on the UCB -- from any of us.

He was very difficult to convince on most everything -- and too far away to reach with a 2 x 4.

What a shame. Coulda helped him along with better understanding on a number of matters.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I put a universal charge bar on my 600Jr about 25 years ago. It seemed to cause more sheared shot than the original fixed MEC bar. I recently started using that bar again, and while whacking it hard to clear a shot jam, the end of the bar near the powder adjustment end broke off. To my surprise, the UCB that I had was made out of plastic! Im not sure if the newer model bars are more durable, but I wouldn't buy another one. To fine tune bushing or fixed hole bars, a dremel tool used carefully can open up a tight bushing to dump a little more power or shot.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Interesting thread.

I just added a 600Jr in 20ga to my reloading workforce. Now I have three 600s. There have been threads about using lighter loads in the 12 down to the 410. Someone suggested a cut piece of hull wall to act as a volume reducer in the charge bar. I added a 28ga hull wall with about 1/4 the circumference cut away and added into my 7/8 oz bar's charge cavity for the 20 which now drops roughly 3/4 oz.
I can't remember who it was, but excellent idea!!!

Saved me about 13 bucks!

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I have a UCB on my Sizemaster and love it.

Recently, I bought a 9000GN...first thing I did was install a UCB. As soon as I can remember to pick up a couple of fixed bars, I'm going to take it out and throw it as far as I can into the woods next door...hopefully, my dog won't find it and bring it back.

Nothing against the UCB itself, but, IMO, the actuator assembly to accomodate it is a POS.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
TOM-M said:
Recently, I bought a 9000GN...first thing I did was install a UCB...Nothing against the UCB itself, but, IMO, the actuator assembly to accomodate it is a POS.
Someone in a recent topic was having essentially the same problem with that thing.

I have two brand new ones for progressive loaders I've never installed -- and won't.

They'll end up on eBay one of these days.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts