Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm soliciting opinions on the Universal charge bar for use with a MEC 600jr. While we're at it, what about the powder baffle? Are these two items gimmicks or the real deal?

G

·
I have found the powder baffle to work, unless it is in my head. It seems to throw more consistant charges. The Universal charge bar is something I have not tried. I only reload 28 gauge. Since the 28 ga. can only be loaded with a shot charge of 3/4 of an oz, I only need to change the powder bushing when I load for Sporting Clays. I dont see spending $30.+ for one.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have had good luck with my universal charge bars.It takes a little work to dial it in but well worth the effort.The biggest plus IMO is the ability to adjust for different shot sizes.The baffle is an asset with some powders and a liability with others.

G

·
Guess I should've added the reason I'm asking..
I bought a used loader and only have one bar (1 1/8) and two powder bushings. It's either stick with one load combo or invest in more bars & bushings.

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
I like the baffles, I prefer the metal over the plastic as there seems to be less static cling.

The universal charge bar is a great item, although it can be a tad finicky to dial in, its not hard to mark and keep up with what settings for what load.

Definitely pay attention to the small details about the inserts that go in the top, I had to file them down some to make them fit correctly and not bind.

G

·
I have a very accurate digital scale and I was quite impressed with the consistency of the metal powder baffle.

On the contrary, I was highly unimpressed with the universal charge bar.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I say the baffle is worth every penny. It helps to keep the powder charge consistent from the top of the bottle to the bottom. With out it you get heavy charges when the bottle is full and light charges when it starts to get low.

The universal bar would be a good investment for you at this time, since you only have one bar and two bushings now. If you had three or four bars and all the bushings I would say no. As others stated it does take a few minutes to set it up for a new load, but if you keep records of the settings it will help you later to reset for that load if you had changed it for something else. I like it because I have yet to see a mec bar drop the shot weight that it should, and I always find myself needing a bushing between thier numbers.

I like having them both.

Brian

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't get too lazy with charge bars guys....I've found them to be rather inconsistent at times. If you are going to use them, make dang sure you measure out every so often.
I quit using mine due to inconsistency....but that was me and my bar.
Big D

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a universal charge bar for my MEC. It is wonderful. I won't go back to the bushings. I have the powder baffle too. Can't tell if it does its job but the theory makes sense.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I use the universal charge bar and the powder baffle, and believe the baffle does help with charge consistency. I seem to be always messing around with different loads, requiring different powder charges, and for that the adjustable charge bar is great. If I were to load only one or two recipes, like a sane person would, I'd just use the MEC bar and bushings. That said tho, if I loaded different shot sizes I'd still use the universal since I could tweak it to get the same weight of #4 as of #8.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Universal charge bar,
best thing since sliced bread.
the things are awesome.
i load everything from 7/8 oz lead skeet loads
to 3 1/2" Magnum steel shot BB loads
all with 1 bar,
truly awesome!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.