Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever found a bulk source for these O-rings other then the OEM part?
They are not a perfect o-ring because they are not square. The height is greater then the width.

Steve

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Steve,
There is no longer a need for those O-Rings/Grommets. Using the PC Baffle negates the need of a grommet under the powder bottle, and if using the new type charge bar with the insert in it, MEC states there is no need for the grommet under the shot bottle.

I have not used a grommet under a powder or shot bottle in many years, and it all works just great.

DLM

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
GOOD question! I have wondered the same thing. I was able to find replacements for a 366 at McMaster Carr. I figured I'd do the same for Mec. But like you, I measured them, did some searching and came up zip. I ended up with two red plastic baffles: one intact and one with the baffle part reamed out. This takes care of the powder side. My charge bars are new enough that they have the rubber insert. I have tried gasket under the shot bottle and no gasket- couldn't tell much difference. So, I am to the point that I don't need gaskets. The rubber inserts in the bars do wear and need periodic replacing.

As I finish typing I see that Mr Marcum has concluded the same thing.

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason for my question was more for information because I can not believe MEC had a custom size made for them. Way to costly for the tool.

Steve

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
If you are serious about an "o" ring you might do some checking at a local hardware store... Sounds silly but some of the rubber grommets for garden hoses are an exact fit under the bottle and work great.
The PC powder baffle is the perfect solution though. Larry

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vette Jockey said:
Steve Y said:
The reason for my question was more for information because I can not believe MEC had a custom size made for them. Way to costly for the tool.

Steve
They're most likely lathe-cut rings. No tooling required.
They could be, but they look molded to me. Further more the OD x ID of the washer is not a perfect inch fraction or metric. We as humans tend to make most things to common, make sense measurements. So to be lathe cut would require 3 operations, 1 for the OD, 1 for ID and then cut to length.

Steve

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
Steve Y said:
They could be, but they look molded to me. Further more the OD x ID of the washer is not a perfect inch fraction or metric. We as humans tend to make most things to common, make sense measurements. So to be lathe cut would require 3 operations, 1 for the OD, 1 for ID and then cut to length.Steve
I didn't look at them, but in non-standard sizes, lathe-cut makes sense. In automatic machines, those cuts are a snap. You could spit those rings out like popcorn.

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Vette Jockey said:
Steve Y said:
They could be, but they look molded to me. Further more the OD x ID of the washer is not a perfect inch fraction or metric. We as humans tend to make most things to common, make sense measurements. So to be lathe cut would require 3 operations, 1 for the OD, 1 for ID and then cut to length.Steve
I didn't look at them, but in non-standard sizes, lathe-cut makes sense. In automatic machines, those cuts are a snap. You could spit those rings out like popcorn.
But look at the waste in cutting the ID and OD. There is no waste in o-ring molding.

Steve

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
The MEC grabber that I have is about 6-months old,it came with both o-rings,I bought a bunch from
Mcmaster-carr,for my Spolar and they work perfectly.I just rough estimated the o-rings on the grabber and all I have to do at this point is make a small cut on the o-ring and they should fit,the pressure on the bottle will hold the o-ring down in place,I just haven,t got to do the cut as yet?The info- 1-pack of 50, 4061T23 square profile o ring,oil resistant Buna -N dash number 208, $8.07 packs of 50.You might want to search,their web,site,you may find a perfect fit,but for me,my mod,should work IMHO?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.