Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is so bad about merganzers? Every time I mention I hunt them, I get harrased for it. They are a great bird to hunt!

Now I must ask a question...I am looking for some merganzer decoys. Does anybody know if they are availiable. I see lots of merganzers fly over my goldeneye spread but I would like to throw in a few mergie deeks to get them to come in... It is quite common in Newfoundland to add a few merganzer deeks to your late season spread. There is only a few more weeks left in the season. Ponds are begining to freeze over...perfect for the big ol' merganzers.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I clean them like I clean any other duck...pick the feathers, burn the down and small feathers with a blow torch, then I cut the belly open and haul the gut out. They don't smell bad. The insides smell like trout, which smells better then duck insides in my opinion.

Now for cooking...

I cook them like duck. Sometimes stuffed and baked, but mostly on the BBQ. I cut the breast off. I do them up like steak using steak marinade and spices. Cook them for 7 mins a side usually. Mostly I throw a few trout fillets on with the bird as they make perfect complements to the merganzers. Add a few potatos and some salad and you got yourself a great meal.

Sea ducks taste very similar and are the most fun of any bird to hunt. I guess it is all what you are used to eating...I have never seen a mallard in the wild or eaten one...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.