Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting ready to order a metal safety button kit for my Mossberg 500 HD when I suddenly noticed for the very first time that I already had a metal button. Now my question is: is this stock or add on? Does anybody out there have an older Mossberg 500 with the metal button from the factory? And if so, does anybody know when they switched to plastic? See button below. It isn't current add on safety as sold on the internet. Front of the button is smooth and all the add ons have serrated fronts.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am member of Mossberg 500 Historical Society. I emailed them first thing but so far nothing back. Gun is post 1968 because it has serial number, but that is as close as I can get it.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I have a prestine early single bar 500 pre serial # and it has a factory plastic one just like the new ones. :?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks PhilG. That was the input I was looking for.I have a growing suspicion that the safety broke and a gunsmith put on a new one. This surprises me because the gun was badly treated and a real mess by the time I got it. I wouldn't have thought that the original owner would have invested the money. The safety itself is great, it is real easy to manage with wet or cold hands. I just have never seen one like it before.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
avery53:

Brownells still carries that safety.The safety on mine doesn't look anything like the stock Mossberg metal safety however. The more I look at it the more it looks like a bolt action rifle safety . The old Savages had something pretty similar.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I found it!!!! It's a 5500 safety! If I could post pics. I could show the wifes 5500. It has the same one.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Of course there were the Westernfields, New Havens, and other variants, all with different model numbers. . . the ones I've owned with the single action bar had metal safetys. You never know what someone might have switched on a 500 actioned gun over the years. I have had at least 3 different types on the 20 or so I've owned in the last couple of years.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
But did they look like the one in his picture?.... The 5500 of my wife's and the ones I've found searching ALL have THAT safety!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Neanderthal said:
Of course there were the Westernfields, New Havens, and other variants, all with different model numbers. . . the ones I've owned with the single action bar had metal safetys. You never know what someone might have switched on a 500 actioned gun over the years. I have had at least 3 different types on the 20 or so I've owned in the last couple of years.
Mine has the single action bar, so maybe it's original. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts