Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 600 JR, and I'm having trouble with getting the thing to meter large diameter shot. I bought the "steel and large lead shot kit", but it didn't make much difference. For example, a 1 1/8 oz load is 492 grains of shot, and I'm getting anywhere from 470 to 485 grains dropped from the charge bar. Is this within acceptable limits ? Should I use a steel shot charge bar? If I use a steel shot charge bar, what would be the conversion from steel to lead in oz's? IE, 1 1/8 oz load of lead = how much steel and visa versa. The shot size I'm using is #4 lead. I'd like to try BB and #2's as well.

Thanks for any info.

Dancbtmkr

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'd suggest you purchase an adjustable charge bar. This will give you the ability to adjust the shot cavity in the bar for your shot size. With #4 and #2 shot your throwing a light load because the shot does not fill the gaps in between the charge bar hole as it would with smaller shot. I would recommend with BB to count out your loads. Your not shooting high volumes of these loads I assume? So, counting out X number of pellets, although time consuming , will yeild an exact load for you. You should look at buffered loads with larger shot like #2 and BB's. By adding shot buffer around these large pellets you get a better pattern.

APEXDUCK

G

·
If you are just going to do a few, I'd just weigh them out and put the shot charge in some empty hulls and when you need to drop the shot, dump it in. If you find a load you paraticularly like but your shot bushing drops light, I drill mine out just a freckle untill it does drop the shot charge I am after. I have a few bushings that have steped holes bored in them. had to do that to get the shot charge just where I needed it to be. It was especially important to me in .410. 12 shot short in a 1/2 oz load of 7 1/2s in a .410 is too light as far as I am conserned.

BP

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
actually, I do shoot quite a bit of these. It's for IPSC and shooting big holes in dead trees and such. I wanted to stay away from hand counting pellets, unless it's under 20 per load. IE buckshot, etc. I do want to get into buffering, I've gotta find one of these stores around here that have them.

I wrote to MEC, and here's what I got:

The larger size pellets will typically weigh lighter through the MEC charge bars. The standard bars are weighed and tested using 7 1/2 - 8 1/2 size shot.

If you have any further questions, or need to order parts, feel free to
contact us at 1-800-797-4632, 9 AM - 4 PM CST Monday - Friday

Thank You

MEC Customer Service

And I say to that, Duh. I know that much, but how do I fix it? Should a 1 1/8 oz charge BE light, or should it be 1 1/8 oz?

Dancbtmkr

·
Registered
520 Posts
Adjustable charge bar is your solution. I would say that most reloader mfgr chage bars will throw a light load with the larger size shot. They are all measuring by volume and this will give you light loads with the larger pellets. I imagine most folks who reload (95%) use #4 shot or smaller unless they are reloading steel and of these most reload #7 1/2, #8 and #9. You might try an 1 1/4 bar since you are coming up light by 1 to 5% of the 1 1/8 load. 1 or 2% would be OK but 5% light although not dangerous, may cost you in competition.

I would either try an 1 1/4 oz bar. If my math is right it would throw a light 1 1/4 oz load that would be about 5% heavy for an 1 1/8 oz load or get a Universal charge bar for $27 plus shipping mailorder and dial in your needs for each shot size.

Here is the link to Ballistic Products:

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/a1BPHo ... ts_acc.htm

I would not be upset with MEC. With reloading products the liability is so great that someone could misuse the product and hurt themself, MEC's response is "by the book" I'm sure per their legal team. Their charge bar throws 1 1/8 of #7 1/2 or # 8 shot.

Good luck

APEXDUCK

·
Registered
549 Posts
While you're at Ballistic Products sight they also have an adjustable hand shot dipper which although somewhat slower it's about 8 or 9 dollars another option to consider.That said I use the adjustable charge bar Apexduck mentioned and I am happy with it !
Mike

·
Registered
520 Posts
Just did the math on how short you are shot wise with light loads of # 4 and #2 shot if you are thowing 5% light of a 1 1/8oz load.

#2 shot your short approx 5 pellets
#4 shot your short approx 10 pellets

APEXDUCK

G

·
I saw again, Just chuck it up and turn it out a bit at a time! O, yes, I forget, everybody doesn't have a lathe in thier home shop? You can probably do it with a drill press just as easialy. That is how I did mine with my .410 bushings.

BP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts