Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started shooting sporting clays and I shoot a 682 gold with custom wood and new barrel from coles and I love it, but I am interested in looking at a mid-rib gun option and I know Cesar Guerini makes a summit ascent in a mid-rib. Are there others guns made with a mid rib? Considering add a rib just to try.

·
Registered
417 Posts
jballance said:
I have started shooting sporting clays and I shoot a 682 gold with custom wood and new barrel from coles and I love it, but I am interested in looking at a mid-rib gun option and I know Cesar Guerini makes a summit ascent in a mid-rib. Are there others guns made with a mid rib? Considering add a rib just to try.
jballance,

A couple of thoughts.

I have heard of people buying balsa wood strips from craft stores and coloring them black with a marker and taping them to their rib to try.

Another alternative is buying a rib from http://www.addaribs.com/

I bought one of these for a Perazzi MT-6 and it worked as advertised.

Good luck,
Dave

·
Registered
280 Posts
Zoli makes a mid-rib version of their Z-Sport. I recently acquired a mid-rib barrel that I had fitted to one of my Zoli receivers. I have only had a chance to shoot it once, but I like it so far. My brother prefers his mid-rib Cesar Guerini to the flat rib that he had before it.

·
Premium Member
11,305 Posts
Gunsmokesupply said:
I have heard of people buying balsa wood strips from craft stores and coloring them black with a marker and taping them to their rib to try.
Cheap - easy way to see if that does what you want and add subtract to get the exact height you need/want :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
The Blaser F3 Vantage is their mid rib gun. I have also had the Blaser flat rib and the SuperSport high rib guns. My first Blaser was a flat rib, then went to the SuperSport. When they came out with the Vantage I gave it a try and it was fine but I still shoot the high rib SuperSport better. It's all a matter of personal choice. It would be nice if you could shoot all of them to help make a decision.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
My wife bought a Browning used gun, after about three weeks I asked how she liked the green light tube on it at the front?

"I never realized it was there " she said. Perfect, don't look at the barrel!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I went with the wood strips, and ended up ordering two addarib for two of my flat rib guns after a demo with a Blazer F3 to confirm I want to go that direction. After about 1200 rounds though these two my only decision is what make my new gun is going to be.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
the Zoli Z sport mid rib is decent also there is the browning citori cxt high rib, they call it a high rib, but I think it's a decent inbetween height.

Blaser mid ribs are extremely popular as well

·
Registered
2 Posts
Demo'd a Zoli Mid and High rib yesterday.. I really like the balance and swing of these guns. It's hard to explain. It just feels like it is a smooth and effortless swing. It points very well for me. More so with the high rib. Go figure as I always stayed away from the high rib guns. Looks like they actually fit me best. Can't argue with the results. Shot both and did much better with the HR..

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Perazzi makes that MX8 vintage I believe it's called, that's a mid rib, otherwise as others mentioned, Zoli, and Blaser are your options.

Or just add a rib via balsa wood or whatever and see if you like it.

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
The current trend, at least among the top 30 shooters in the game, has definitely steered away from mid and high ribs.

When I looked a couple months ago, it was like 26 that shot dead flat or SLIGHTLY raised ribs (like the Kolar Max fixed rib or the Krieghoff sporter rib, which are about 1/8" taller than dead flat), two shot Krieghoff Pro Sporters, and there were one or two I couldn't determine. Many that did shoot high ribs have gone back to flat ribs.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The current trend, at least among the top 30 shooters in the game, has definitely steered away from mid and high ribs.

When I looked a couple months ago, it was like 26 that shot dead flat or SLIGHTLY raised ribs (like the Kolar Max fixed rib or the Krieghoff sporter rib, which are about 1/8" taller than dead flat), two shot Krieghoff Pro Sporters, and there were one or two I couldn't determine. Many that did shoot high ribs have gone back to flat ribs.
AFAIK, this is accurate. I wonder why?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts