Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please pardon my ignorance, but what is the purpose of a bead sight in the middle of a vent rib? Should it be lined up with the front bead for sighting, or what?

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Pretty much, for pre mounted shooting such as trap, people will use both beads to make sure they are lined up with the rib. To me, if you have to move your head to line them up once mounted, there is a fit problem.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I agree with Steve. I have one shotgun that has it. I was told to make it look like a figure 8 befire firing. I think it's more of a distraction than an aid. I shot more consistant and better results with just ignoring the bead altogether and concentrating on the target. Then again that's just me. I know alot of people that swear by them.

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
I also agree with Steve...although useful to determine gun fit off of the field, I never want to look at the beads when I'm shooting, not even during gun mount...I just don't want to be that conscious of the barrel. Remember, the eyes are supposed to be on the bird, not the barrel.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Baron23 said:
I also agree with Steve...although useful to determine gun fit off of the field, I never want to look at the beads when I'm shooting, not even during gun mount...I just don't want to be that conscious of the barrel. Remember, the eyes are supposed to be on the bird, not the barrel.
I don't Fully understand. If you mount the gun and aim at a fixed target you can move your eyes left or right without moving the barrel form the fixed point of aim. What keeps you from leading a moving target with your eyes if your not at least conscous of the bead in your line of sight? Kinda like looking through the bead at the target. The last thing I see before pulling the trigger on clay's or live birds is the glowing Hi-Vis magnetic bead on my barrels. I have led targets and birds with my eyes and the Hi-Vis sight helps eliminate this issue.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
XFILES said:
Please pardon my ignorance, but what is the purpose of a bead sight in the middle of a vent rib? Should it be lined up with the front bead for sighting, or what?
By stacking them and making a 8, you're shooting higher and you can stay under the target instead of having to cover it up to hit it. Handy in Trap.

Michael

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
Slick13 said:
By stacking them and making a 8, you're shooting higher and you can stay under the target instead of having to cover it up to hit it. Handy in Trap.
The manufacturers generally intend for the gun to shoot about 60/40 high when the beads are in a figure 8. They generally shoot about that way for most shooters. Trap shooters generally want the gun to shoot higher than that.

But, the operative words here are "generally", "intend", "about" and "most". In other words, it varies. The guns, the shape of the shooter's face, the way the shooter sees the target, the shooter's preference for point of impact - they all vary. For Slick13, using his gun, a figure 8 may produce a POI high enough for trap, but many trap shooters use special stocks and ribs to get a higher POI than that.

The figure 8, with about 60% of the pattern above the point of aim and 40% below it, is what a lot of shooters want for skeet, sporting clays, and hunting. A lot of trap shooters want it as much as 100% above. But, it varies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts