Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a club in Iowa or the surrounding states that have wobble trap. Our club is thinking of getting aq wobblr trap, and I would like to try it first.Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Ozark Shooters Complex on Hwy 65 between Springfield and Branson, MO has one. Fun to shoot, looks a lot like flushing birds.

·
Registered
598 Posts
The Papillion Gun Club near Papillion, Nebraska (extreme eastern part of the state, near Omaha) has wobble traps. They are open to the public on Friday afternoon's/evenings. Wobble trap is a lot fun!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Our club here in East Virginia has regular trap, wobble trap, and 5-stand available.

We throw far more birds for wobble trap than for anything else. It is especially popular with new shooters and casual shooters. It is easier to get hits and that makes for a satisfied shooter. Some of the hard core trap shooters call it "girlie trap" but it is a very popular part of our range. Most of the wobble traps can be locked down and used to throw straight trap when desired.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
"Girlie trap"? Must be a different machine than the clubs where I've shot wobble. At one club, we used to pair a wobble bird with a second bird from another machine on a sort of bastardized "sporting" set up. First a single, then a report pair, then a true pair. Repeat from each of five stations, then head down to the next field, where we'd set up something different.

Anyway, the wobble would throw anything from a house-level worm-burner to a high, fast bird or just about anything in between. I found it a lot of fun.

I don't care greatly for ordinary American trap. Granted, the guys who can consistently grind 'em all day are disciplined and talented shooters, but I find the game's a little dry for me. I don't mind shooting (at) a 100 birds
now and then, but if it was the only game out there, I'd be very bummed. I do like doubles, though. I enjoy that "pop and swing" and trying to run my score up there, if only very briefly, with real doubles shooters.

Adding a wobble-capable machine or two is a great for most clubs, IMO.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
If your wobble trap will be set up on a combination trap and skeet field, you can try SKRAP, which is wobble trap shot from the skeet stations (not including station eight). Our version allows three tries to break a bird from each station before moving on to the next. We also shoot from behind the walkway (except on 1 and 7, obviously) to increase the distance. The guy who runs out of shells last is the winner.

Dan

·
Registered
251 Posts
I suppose there are an infinite number of ways to set up and use a wobble trap. At our club, the most popular game is shot from five wooden platforms set in a row just behind the trap house that has the wobble machine. Each shooter shoots five rounds (single and two report pairs) then they rotate to the next stand.

Using fairly open chokes, new and casual shooters can kill a good percentage of the clays because they are so close to the trap. Some of the more experienced shooters like to shoot the same wobble game from back at the regular 16 yard trap positions. The wobble will throw some real low birds, so it is hard to get them from the 16 yard line.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Carrier Joe said:
Some of the more experienced shooters like to shoot the same wobble game from back at the regular 16 yard trap positions. The wobble will throw some real low birds, so it is hard to get them from the 16 yard line.
That's the way we play, but we do a single, a report pair and a true pair. I think the occasional worm-burners are a challenge, but fun. Our other bird in the pair is usally from a second, separate machine and it's an incomer or a teal or something similar. Smoke the traphouse bird quick, find your high bird and get on it. I've walked off that station with a 25...but I've also walked off with a 16 or so. Main thing is to shoot like you know how and not let a miss get inside your head. It's a neat little game.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.