Shotgun Forum banner
181 - 200 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
The part about giving Nate a copy of my book is true, But the insinuation that is all I will pay him is false. He has never told me what the price will be but I have told him that as long as the price is fair, I WILL Pay HIM for his great service. I always pay my bills. I have never beat anyone out of their money. That is not me and all of you who know me will understand this.

Mike McAlpine

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
I just added another chapter. It is about how to read a target line using the box trick. This will be great information for the setter and the shooter.

Now, I will be adding another chapter on adjusting all kinds of machines. I can't believe I left this one out. I will take some pictures of different kinds and brands of machines and explain to those people that don't understand how to do this the many things a setter can do with many of the machines on the market. I think this will help a lot of setters. I know that new people will benefit from this information as will many setters today. I will add a few things about trouble shooting problems, at least the ones I know about. also, how to fix these problems. Chuck Frazier was the best at this and if he was still with us, I would have asked him to write this chapter for me. I can do this myself but as I said Chuck was the BEST. I don't this will take very long but I will have to do some research on some of this.

Mike McAlpine

"Inside the Mind of a Target Setter"

A book for target setters and shooters too.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Mike,
Have you finished proof reading the initial drafts? How many chapters/pages? This will be a must have for some of us.

Kind regards,
John

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
Yes, I have had all of my drafts proofed by my editor Jeff Meloy, plus, I have read my book completely through twice. My wife is a school teacher so I had her to check the grammar and for any typos. I thought that this is exactly what I wanted to have in my book. I know, I have posted that I was completely through but while traveling the last month, I found that I had left about three chapters out. Now, I only have one more chapter (I Hope!!!!) left to write and take pictures for. It is about how to adjust machines and some of the little adjustments that I have done to make a target do unusual things. I want to share these with the setters. I hope to be finished this coming week and send the book to my printer.

I do have a question to ask. I was thinking that I would start with 200 books. If the cost are what I think they will be I may just offer the hard back book. I have had many people tell me that they would like the hardback book for their collection. From the information I have received so far there will not be a big difference in the price.

What do you think, is 200 copies enough or should I go with 500 copies for the first printing? I just don't want to have a bunch of books in storage. I was looking at the number of hits that are on my post and there are over 28,000. I understand that a lot of you have looked at my post many times to find out where I am at and that is great. I will let you know when I send the book to the printer. It shouldn't take too long for the printing to be done.

Sincerely,

Mike McAlpine

A book for target setters and shooters too

·
Registered
348 Posts
Mike,

For what it is worth, you can put me down for 2 copies.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
rschrager

Thanks, My new site should be finished in the next week or so, When ever Nate gets home. I have had several people that want to order multipal copies. I think Curly wanted 4. I want to sell all I can!!!!

Mike McAlpine

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
Miss,

If people want me to sign their book, I will. I have been looking at a special hardback leather cover for people who have book collections. This will raise the price some but it will still be in line of what I wanted. I have looked at many printing companies and I am trying to keep the price down without losing quality. Like I have said before, I want this book to be of the best quality and hopefully will have all of the information that I can give it. I want to help the setters, new and experienced to be able to set quality courses. Hopefully they will follow the rules that I have used for the last 25 years. The first few years, I was learning on my own. Also, I truly believe that shooters will benefit from this book. I actually thought about combining this book with a book on shooting but I felt that this would really push the price up. If this book does well, I may write a book on shooting. There are a lot of books on this market so I am not sure it would do good.

I am a different kind of an instructor and my sales pitch is a lot different from other coaches and shooters. As I have said, I was a salesman for many years and I was successful in this job. I am simply selling a way to break targets now. I never try to change a person that is already shooting well. I had a local shooter (and Friend) who I taught for free. His first year shooting targets, he won the Kcup and made the All American Team in both sporting and FITASC. He told me that he had decided that he needed a real coach and went to a big name person. This guy completely broke him down and then tried to teach him to shoot his way. This is never a good idea in my opinion. Why change someone when they are breaking a target? I don't see this guy much anymore because I don't go to our club much anymore. I still consider he and his wife my friends.

Mike McAlpine

Right now, I am trying to figure out how many books I will need. I can always reorder but the more I order the cheaper they are.

Mike McAlpine

·
Registered
217 Posts
Mike,

It would be nice for us novices to have this book before the US Open in Georgetown next May. Give us time to read, assimilate, and practice before moving up to the big leagues.

And your description above is a ditto of my early experiences. I learned very good fundamentals from a local instructor and, mistakenly, thought let me book several lessons with a big name. Serious mistake. Terrible teacher (I was a teacher for 35 years) not to mention instructor: Was told everything I learned previously was wrong and had to learn "his way." To say I walked away confused and disillusioned is an understatement.

All the best,
J

·
Registered
673 Posts
Mike,
When you can get the website set up I think many of us would be glad to pre-order.
That will give you a bit of an idea of how many copies will be needed as well as dedicate some funds up front for the printing.
Looking forward to the book. Thanks for taking on the project.
Kyler

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
Kyler,

This is a great idea. I wish I had thought of it earlier. I finished the pictures on adjusting machines today. I don't think this will help very experienced setters (maybe some of the special adjustment I have come up with over the years. Many setters have come up with some of the same ideas. I do think the new setters will enjoy this part of the book. I will start with the pictures tomorrow and choose the ones that show something important on each type of machine. Then I will write a caption explaining what these adjustment will do. I should have this last chapter finished in the next day or two so we will be going to the printer next week. This company guarantees a 5 day delivery on the soft back copy. I am going to purchase 25 had copy books that I want to give to all of the people who helped with my career, If I see that there is a interest in a hard copy book, I will place another order for them. I don't know how many this book will sell. When looking at the hits (over 29,000) on my post I get excited but I know that many of these have been made by the same people. They are looking at the updates. I have estimated that when I make a post to this site, somewhere between 80 and 1,000 people check out what I have to say. I never understood what it takes to write a book but I am learning. If this book doesn't lose money, I plan to write another on on training shooters and coaches. Especially Youth Coaches. I was the NSCA Chief Instructor for many years so I have a very good knowledge of how to do this. Someone email me about writing a book on shooting. I have been a clay target shooter for nearly 50 years. I was very good shooter ut I decided that I really wanted to be a great target setter and a good coach. I have always liked to help people, especially shooters.

I know that when I started setting targets in 1986, I wish I had the chance to buy a book like this. The first five years of my career was try something and see how it played out. Of course there where a few setters then but not many. As with most of us then, we started with manual machines. I even used our trap and skeet fields for one bird on a presentation. I even used both skeet machines in the beginning. The only thing I could do to make the target not be skeet targets was the places I moved the stands to. Oh, I could raise and lower the machines and even change the spring tension. I got by with this for awhile. When automatic machines first came on the market, our club was very poor. We all scrapped together a little cash among us and bought a machine a long. Finally we started making some money and we bought 30 promatices. One of our members financed them for us at 10%. (Not bad in those days) We started throwing a lot of registered targets and then added corporate shoots along with big charity shoots. Some of the charity shoot had 300 to 400 shooters. Were were a member owned club and we all took turns working at the front desk. I was the target setter for 20 years and then NSCA asked me to set some courses at the Nationals and World championships. After I got a little notoriety Many shooters would come to our monthly shoots. I had shooters every month from the Dallas Fort Worth area, (250 miles) El Paso (400 miles) Amarillo (almost 400 miles), Corpus Christi, (About 375 Miles) and Houston (400) miles. Our attendance was around 150 shooters in those days. There were not that many clubs in Texas then so if someone wanted to shoot a tournament they were willing to drive a long way. We only had one automated walk through course then. Were started making money and since I was overseeing the operation of the club and was the target setter, the board let me put in another 100 bird walk through course. We bought another 30 machines. With in 10 years were had paid our land off and all of our machines too. We added another 100 acres and I built a third walk through course. Today we also have five trap ranges with Pat traps in them and two skeet ranges. We put voice releases on all of the ranges. We also have a 12 machine covered fiveStand. We build five pavilions behind the trap and skeet ranges and also built a big pavillion for all of our major tournaments and charity shoots. I ran the club for 20 years but I finally had to become the consultant. I had become the NSCA Chief Instructor and this along kept me very bussy. I got offers to set many of the major shoots around the country so I would have to schedule all of these different events. so I could do all of these things. I was on the road for 250 days a year a lot of time. It was amazing what we accomplished it those years.

I Know that is more than what you were asking but I never pass up a chance to tell this story.

Sincerely,

Mike McAlpine

"Inside the mind of a Target Setter"

Kyler, I believe the last time I saw you was at one of the SHOT Shows out in las Vegas. I was a dealer for Mec then and went out just to help at our booth. I think I also went to one of the founding SCTP meetings to.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Mike,
That's an amazing memory that you remember me from the MEC booth at the SHOT show. That was at least 5 years ago and I'm sure you met a few thousand people at that show.
Thanks,
Kyler

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
Kyler,

I have always had a great memory. Not a photographic memory but maybe close. For a long time when I was in the new car business (10 years) I could remember every customer that I sold and what the bought, I sold over 200 new cars a year. This was in the early 1970's. I can still remember our first house here in San Angelo, I was two then. I remember my mother giving we a bath in the kitchen sink. I also remember our first snow storm. All of the neighborhood kids got to go outside and play in the snow, So did my sister, she is 4 years older than me. I had a cold an my mother wouldn't let me go out and play in the snow, I was very upset but when my dad came home for lunch, he built me a small snowman on our front porch. We had a glass outside door and I remember sitting in my little rocking chair all afternoon looking at that little snowman. This made it a lot easier on me.

I am going to finishing my set up for my pay account. Nate just got back home and is ready to finish my site. This website will be mostly for selling my book. I will have some pictures on it but the way my health is today, I don't plan on doing another big site with all of the things I used to do. I had planned to do a little coaching this year. Unfortunately, I may not be able to set targets unless if the club can furnish me enough help to move and set the machined from my direction. Covid has stopped my business. I am now having trouble with my right shoulder and right arm. I haven't shot a registered target since the 2016 nationals. I plan to be at Nationals this year and rent a spot in the shooting mall. I have a lot of vendor friends and many former sponsors on Vender Row and some of them probably will let me set up a small table and display of my books in their spot. This is what I would really like to do.

Mike McAlpine

I am taking you up on your idea about pre ordering the books. I sure wished you had mentioned this to me a few months ago. I can't believe I didn't think about this myself. I guess I am getting old. LOL You know Kyler, I am a pretty good marketing person. I have alway marketed my business with great success, I know some people think I am bragging about the things I have done in our sport but this is NOT the case. I am just marketing myself and my experience.

Thanks again and your friend,

Mike McAlpine

181 - 200 of 241 Posts