Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across a bunch of discarded O.D. Green Winchester hulls at my local club they have high black metal bases (maybe anodized brass?) is there a way to tell if these are AA hulls? I'd love to use them for reloading 1 1/8 #8 target loads. Any advice is welcomed.

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
If they are smooth then they are AA style. If there are any visible ribs then they are not. The ones I have seen have been buckshot loads and they were not AA style and seemed to be more like what is now used in the Super X lines which are no longer AA style that I have seen. .

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Cut one apart and compare to the diagram in the Lyman's manual. The military used to use 00B in a six point red case with high brass that was essentially an AA hull. Later I ran across some where the high brass was actually a brass washed steel. Both looked like an AA hull internally, and loaded like an AA hull.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a cutaway. It has a small separate plastic cup in the bottom. Are these useable for reloads? It was originally a target 1 1/8 #7.5 shell.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Sure looks like an AA-HS internally. Not sure if the metal base is a blackened brass or steel though. After depriming, just check it with a magnet to be sure. Or alternatively, just lightly file it enough to get through the surface finish.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
For comparison, here is a photo of the Winchester 12-ga 2-3/4" military-style buckshot hull. It has a high steel head. The plastic tube has slightly-raised horizontal ribs, about like those found on Win Universal hulls.

The flat basewad is typical of those found on current high-brass Super-X hulls.

--Bob

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The outside of the hull looks like one above but the base using as high as the steel pictured. If that's the case I'm guessing it's more along the lines of the cheaper Walmart type hull.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
USMA36 said:
The outside of the hull looks like one above but the base using as high as the steel pictured. If that's the case I'm guessing it's more along the lines of the cheaper Walmart type hull.
The "cheaper Walmart type hull" is just a cheaply made version of the AAHS. All of the Winchester Universal, Super Speed, Super Target and US manufactured Super-X use the same internal high cupped basewad as the AAHS.

Winchester buckshot, slug and steel waterfowl loads may use these hulls or one of several other Reifenhauser designs and are not built like the AAHS. The Made i. France Super-X use the Cheddite hull.

I fixed your photo link for you. The hull in the picture is the AAHS/Universal hull.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
My question is, why do we need a military AA target load? Are we expecting ISIS to start using pigeons to transport vials full of viruses or something?

My 9pel military buckshot use super-x hulls.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
The Military may be a little smarter than you think.

Incidentally, with a brass base, I would still bet on an AA-HS hull type. Does the base og the hull have an H and an S on opposite sides of the primer?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's a metal hull. I thought they were anodized brass. So I guess they are definitely the cheaper ones not worth reloading.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Good info here on milspec NATO ammo, 12 gauge in Section 2-xx:

TM 43-0001-27

There are two loads using "#4 Shot" at two different velocities. The descriptions are unclear on whether it's #4 Buck or birdshot, giving two velocity levels (1335 & 1255), one is hard antimony shot the other hard chill.

The hard chill loads says for use against small game and for riot control. I will assume this is #4 birdshot and the other load for guard duty and riot control is #4 Buck.

There used to be a non-NATO spec for 12 gauge with #7 1/2 & #9 shot for "target" use but I can't find it now. Back in WW2 skeet was used as basic training for aerial gunners. You vets would know better than I but I believe the base trap and skeet facilities are now stocked with commercial off the shelf (COTS) ammo.

Whether truly milspec or not, that hull in the OP's pic is the new style AAHS/Universal construction, no question about it.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Looks like the generic "White Box" Winchester ammo like the centerfire lines they've had out for years. Some of the White Box stuff is true milspec, like the Winchester Q3131 5.56mm, loaded to the full M193 NATO spec, most of it by IMI in Israel but some of it USA production. They do the same with the 7.62x51 NATO, and it's good ammo.

Their recent line of "Military 00 Buck" in hulls like pitted bore's might be true milspec production but I'm pretty sure the #9 target loads are just the regular commercial loads in the lo-vis hulls.

The box doesn't look like it says anything military related but the "Q" in the Q1545 Product Code puts it in their Military line. It doesn't show up in their cartridge listing on their page: http://winchestermilitary.com

The product code for pitted bores hulls is Q1544 but they also are a no-show in the Winchester page. A Google/Bing searched didn't come back with anyone showing Q1545 for sale, so I have no idea how it is offered or priced. Simsy9, where did you get that box?

On a related note, maybe it's like the lo-vis camo hulls they make for turkey hunters. The turkey cant see the shells in the gun, but serious turkey hunters must have everything camo or they wont buy it. Or at least that's what the marketing guys think.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts