Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an Minier double mfg in 1907 according to the serial number. This old double is in very good condition and I plan on shooting pheasants, quail, etc with it. I realize that a person needs to "baby" these old guns and plan on shooting low pressure loads through it to be safe, and simply because I don't like heavy recoil myself if it can be avoided. Now the question! Upon inspecting the bores, I noticed that the chambers appeared to be longer than the expected 2 5/8 inches. Upon measureing them with a depth mic and also with a bore dowel, they will accept the 2 3/4 in shell.
Did the factory bore some of these old doubles for the 2 3/4 inch shell or has this one been rebored by someone. Your opinions please. :?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its definitely been rebored then, because the chambers measure a little more than 2 3/4 inchs. I would have thought that whoever did it would have polished them a little more. They are not pitted, but they are not especially smooth either, or is this not desireable?

·
Registered
212 Posts
arvo11 said:
I recently bought an Minier double mfg in 1907 according to the serial number. This old double is in very good condition and I plan on shooting pheasants, quail, etc with it. I realize that a person needs to "baby" these old guns and plan on shooting low pressure loads through it to be safe, and simply because I don't like heavy recoil myself if it can be avoided. Now the question! Upon inspecting the bores, I noticed that the chambers appeared to be longer than the expected 2 5/8 inches. Upon measureing them with a depth mic and also with a bore dowel, they will accept the 2 3/4 in shell.
Did the factory bore some of these old doubles for the 2 3/4 inch shell or has this one been rebored by someone. Your opinions please. :?
Did you get the one they had at Classic Arms on Southland Drive? Nice gun, I saw that one the other day myself. It was in very nice condition and a great buy.

It looked like it had been rebored to me as well, but probably sometime in the 40's or 50's, no time recently. That might be why the bores looked a bit rough compared to a recent/modern reboring.

Anyway, have fun with it.

Brad

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I did Brad. I was pleased to get it. I don't know a lot about these old guns, but they are kind of nostalgic to me. I had a hunting buddy when I was a kid whose dad had an Ithaca double that my friend would borrow to hunt with. From what I have learned about these old guns recently, I believe it was probably an NID 12 gauge. We had some great times hunting pheasants, quail and rabbits in central Ohio back in the fifties.
Durn, that was a long time ago wasn't it. I told you it was nostalgic! Thanks for your interest.

·
Registered
212 Posts
arvo11 said:
Yes I did Brad. I was pleased to get it. I don't know a lot about these old guns, but they are kind of nostalgic to me. I had a hunting buddy when I was a kid whose dad had an Ithaca double that my friend would borrow to hunt with. From what I have learned about these old guns recently, I believe it was probably an NID 12 gauge. We had some great times hunting pheasants, quail and rabbits in central Ohio back in the fifties.
Durn, that was a long time ago wasn't it. I told you it was nostalgic! Thanks for your interest.
Very cool. Glad you have that nostalgic connection to the gun.
I definitely like the Ithaca NID's and other doubles alot as well.

If you want to really learn about Ithaca, you should really get a copy of Walt Snyder's book, "A History of the Ithaca Gun Company". Great book and Walt is a super guy and very willing to help you with questions. I bet if you took some pictures of your Minier he might be able to tell you a little more about it from the factory records that he has.

He posts in this forum occasionally and more often over at the doublegun bbs. I can give you his contact information if you want to order the book.

I also agree 100% with battle. It is good to see some local central Kentuckians posting on here. I too am looking forward to heading up to the Louisville show next weekend. Unfortunately, my gun buying escrow account is too low to do much other than look and dream a little.

anyway, have a good one.

Brad

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I am probably going up to Louisville as well, just to look around. I bought a couple of pistols I have been wanting in addition to the Ithaca I bought a couple of weeks ago, so I am not only financially embarrassed, I am broke!
Thanks for the info on the book Brad, I definitely want to get it, but its gonna have to wait until my wallet recovers. :shock:

·
Registered
212 Posts
arvo11 said:
Thanks for the info on the book Brad, I definitely want to get it, but its gonna have to wait until my wallet recovers. :shock:
Totally understand. My wallet will be recovering at the Louisville show as well. I was just reading McIntosh's book, "The Best Shotguns ever made in America" when I came to the Ithaca chapter. I thought you might like to read a little of what he says about the Ithaca Manier.

"Design work, however, was drawing closer to a breakthrough. With the appearance of the Manier model in 1906, the Ithaca was truly a new gun. ... In all, 21,771 Manier Model Ithacas were built before production was discontinued in 1908."

Very cool, not very many of those guns around. Hang on to the one you have and keep it in good shape for the next 100 years.

Brad

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.