Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was anyone here able to get in on the special Prairie Chicken hunt? I missed the deadline. It would have been nice to get in so I could add a bird to my grand slam list. Now the list is too easy, as it consists of ruffed, sharp-tail, and spruce grouse, and of course pheasant. From where I live getting a sharp-tail will be the toughest logistically.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
I applied but no word yet. I was told they would have the permits out by late August but there has been no anouncement on the DNR website that they have even been mailed. I wish the season was held closer to the end of the month as the younger chickens can still be a little "pin feathery" and not make a good mount. Oh well, if I don't get a permit, its back to Nebraska for me (and maybe even if I do).

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you imagine getting a sharpail, a ruffed, a spruce, and a prairie chicken all in the same day. A Grouse Grand Slam. It would take a little driving I think, but maybe worth a try of you get in on the hunt.

G

·
I agree it would take a bit of driving and a whole lotta luck. I can see the ruff, sharptail, and chicken but I think it would be at least a couple hour drive to someplace with a reasonable shot at a spruce. I have taken ruffs and sharptails in the same field and have flushed chickens nearby but don't know of any fool hens near the prairie chickens. I do know I did not get a chicken permit this year, now I can go to Canada for two weeks instead of one. 57 hours and counting.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think if I found the right places I would try one spot for sharp-tails and prairie chickens in the morning, then drive north a few hours for an evening hunt for the spruce and ruffed.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
The MN DNR website says I did not draw a chicken permit so I don't have to worry about a grand slam. Now I can stay in Canada an extra week and work on my waterfowl "collage".

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Too bad, there is always next year. I would apply now if I was sure I will still livr around here next fall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.