Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dad lives by his model twelve, however the one thing he doesnt like about it is that it has one of those big external choke tubes on the end, the thing that looks like a little silencer with porting, anyway i was wondering if one could find a 26 in barrel with imp. cyl. or mod. choke that wasnt that big old thing on the end. thanks

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Hello Russ: What you describe sounds like the old Cutts compensator, which became a factory option in 1939.

Yes used barrels are out there. you have to remember when these guns where in production the norm for a field gun was a 30in. Full choke barrel. About 60-70% of all field grade Md 12's came with one.

About 20-25% came with a modified choke, the Imp/Cyl choke falls into the leass than 10% category along with the earlier cylinder choke.

A plain barrel Cylinder or Imp/cyl will run betewwen $140-$225 approximately, modifieds usually go for $125-$175. It will have to be fitted to the receiver if it has the receiver extention and adjusting sleeve. Another $100-$150 from a gunsmith who has the experience to do that.

To do just a barrel swap, using the current receiver extention and adjusting sleeve sleeve about the same $125-$150.

I'd say you would be looking at a minimum about $300 either way, possibly a lot more, if you have to send the gun off to a "Winchester" gunsmith.

Right now you can pick up a used Md 12 plain barrel shotgun with a modified choke for $300-$500, one with an Imp/Cyl or cyl choke for around $350-$550 depending on vintage and condition.

IMO you would be way ahead to just look for another Md 12.

Regards Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts