Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy I work with said that he bought a Model 12 a few years back that had choke tubes to reduce it for smaller gauge shells. He got it at an auction, so it may have been a custom deal. anyone heard this? He is lokng to sell it. I am supposed to get photos from him, since he lives in Philly and I live in St. Louis. Also, any thoughts on price?

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Hello VTX: "Choke tubes" don't allow smaller shotgun shells! Choke tubes, allows you to change the choke from a "Full" to a 'Modified" or to an "Imp/Cyl" In other words from a tight choke for farther distances to a more open choke for closer shooting.

A Md 12 with choke tubes isn't ORIGINAL, so it's value is only as a shooter not a collectable gun. Depending on *****, barrel length, and what grade it was originally, (Field, Deluxe Field, Special Field, Deluxe Special Field, Trap, Skeet, etc) but generally a field grade 12 ga. with choke tubes, $250-$400.

Regards Dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi VTX,

Sounds like your friend is talking about barrel sleeves or 'inserts'. They're sometimes used to reduce the inside diameter of the barrel(s) and to add strength to what might otherwise be marginal barrels.

Not something that anyone is likely to do to a gun that is in good condition. The technique adds weight ahead of the hinge pin, so it'll wreck havoc on the balance, too.

Still, its probably better than turning an old field gun into a wall hanger just because its not worth restoring.

Be careful, though, if he's really talking about choke tubes, Dave's right - they have nothing to do with using smaller ***** shells. To do so could result in serious damage to the m12 and the shooter.

SS

·
Registered
284 Posts
Just joshin' ya!! But you're right, upsetting the delicate balance of one of the finest pointing shotguns on earth is not to be taken lightly!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.