Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an old 16 gauge Model 37 I'd like to put a recoil pad on to increase its LOP. I'd like to get one of those old time looking red ones (sunburst?) Ithaca was putting on guns before they went outta business recently. Any ideas where I can find one? I haven't been able to locate anything on the net.

I've used this gun for sproting clays recently, and I'm having a bit of trouble with it ejecting shells. Sometimes it seems to work pretty smooth, but most of the time the mouth of the spent hull gets hung up in the receiver when it's dropping out. I'm guessing I'm just not giving the gun enough time to spit out the shell before I slide the pump forward, or I'm not sliding the pump back far enough/hard enough, but is there any other possible reasons (mechanical) for this to be happening?

And finally, it's serial number is 132XXX, can anyone let me know when it was made?

Thanks,

Michael

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wags said:
I ordered a re-production Ithaca Sunburst recoil pad from Galazan last year to replace a Pachmayer on an older Ithaca. I don't see them listed now, but you could email or give them a call. By the way, it was a very nice looking recoil pad and works just fine.

http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID3603772D ... -Pads.aspx
Thanks for the link, I'll get ahold of them.

Did the pad need ground to fit or anything? Can I just unscrew the plastic butt plate on there now and screw the recoil pad on, or will the stock need drilled for new screw holes?

I'm not having any problem with the recoil of the gun, not in my shoulder at least. I am getting smacked in the face though with the thumb knuckle of my trigger hand, and I hope making the gun longer will put an end to that.

Thanks,

Michael

·
Registered
208 Posts
The recoil pad had to be sanded and fitted to the stock. Screw holes still lined up. I should mention the gunsmith lined them up perfectly with the old screw holes since the new pad had to be drilled.

Wags

1 - 4 of 4 Posts