Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
Would love to have some expert Model 42 collector chime in on this gun.

Reactions: toptechX6

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need to my my copy of Schwing's book on the 42 to see if there were only 66 factory Cutts guns made. I'm not a fan of any muzzle device on a gun of any kind, but I could surely live with this one

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looks correct to me. I own the same gun but my serial # is 1438XX. Since they were made in batches, it would be interesting to see if other serial numbers are close.
The rare bird is a 2-1/2" chamber in this configuration.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
It doesn't say which grade it is. They had 7 different grades. The factory installed Cutts is usually a 25% add on to the value. The listing is missing lots of info. Very poorly written.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
I know of the Standard, DeLuxe, Skeet, Pigeon, and Trap grades. What were the other two?
Standard, Skeet, Trap, Deluxe, Deluxe Solid Rib, Deluxe VR (factory) and Pigeon. Different value for the 7different grades. The difference in solid and VR in the Deluxe is $2000.00.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm definitely not an expert. A quick lookup says 1955 for that serial number. That would be correct timeframe for the donut post. Looks like the barrel is date coded 57?? No model 12 that I have had in that vintage has had a date code. Also looks like whoever stamped the serial number showed up drunk that morning. This, and no great pictures of the barrel legend, make me a little suspicious.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Standard, Skeet, Trap, Deluxe, Deluxe Solid Rib, Deluxe VR (factory) and Pigeon. Different value for the 7different grades. The difference in solid and VR in the Deluxe is $2000.00.
This is not derived from Madis, Schwing, or Stadt. What is your source?

But to answer your question the linked GB gun is a skeet grade gun with factory Cutts and 1st type vent rib. Deluxes are best distinguished from skeet grades by examining wood - finish and checkering, both. On later guns you might see a difference in metal prep. Traps are, essentially, prewar deluxes consistently marked "TRAP" on receiver. Deluxes are inconsistently stamped "DELUXE". A small minority of deluxe 42 are Pigeons.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
My old neighbor had a room full of firearms he bought bunches of new. Three of them were Model 42’s. He sold them all at the local gun show for $2400 each. I ain’t smart enough to have any idea which one they were.
All I bought from him was a Browning .22 take down, new in box.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
This is not derived from Madis, Schwing, or Stadt. What is your source?

But to answer your question the linked GB gun is a skeet grade gun with factory Cutts and 1st type vent rib. Deluxes are best distinguished from skeet grades by examining wood - finish and checkering, both. On later guns you might see a difference in metal prep. Traps are, essentially, prewar deluxes consistently marked "TRAP" on receiver. Deluxes are inconsistently stamped "DELUXE". A small minority of deluxe 42 are Pigeons.
Blue Book.

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Standard, Skeet, Trap, Deluxe, Deluxe Solid Rib, Deluxe VR (factory) and Pigeon. Different value for the 7different grades.
From the introduction of the Model 42 it was offered in Standard Grade, Trap Grade, and Skeet Gun (in either standard or trap grade), any of which could be had with a plain barrel or raised matted rib barrel. That remained the offerings through 1939. Only the Standard Grade and Skeet Gun in the 1940, 1941 and 1946 Winchester catalogs, both with either the plain or solid ribbed barrel. In the 1950 Winchester catalog the Model 42 is offered in Standard Grade with plain or matted rib barrels, Skeet Gun with matted rib barrel and the DeLuxe Grade with a matted rib barrel. Offerings the same in the 1952 catalog but there is also a page offering choke devices including the Cutts Compensator. Same for 1953 Winchester catalog. The 1954 Winchester catalog introduces the Winchester Special Ventilated rib and under the Model 42 Skeet Gun they offer catalog symbol G4286SV a 3-inch chambered Skeet Gun with Winchester Special Ventilated Rib and a Cutts Compensator list price $154.05. Offerings stayed the same through the January 2, 1958, Winchester catalog, Model 42 Standard Grade plain barrel and matted rib barrels, Skeet Gun and DeLuxe Grade with matted rib and Winchester Special Ventilated Rib barrels and G4286SV with the Cutts. The inserted January 2, 1959, update the matted rib barrels are gone from the Standard Grade and the 2 1/2-inch chambered Skeet Guns are also dropped. By the 1960 Winchester catalog the Model 42 Standard Grade with a plain barrel and the Skeet Gun and DeLuxe Grade with the Winchester Special Ventilated Rib were the offerings. For the last two years, 1961 and 1962, the offerings were the same but the text for the Skeet Gun and DeLuxe Grade in just ventilated rib. Was the rib different those last two years? There was never a Pigeon Grade cataloged. They were items a few high rollers ordered to match their Model 12 Pigeon Grades. My guess is there are far more Pigeon Grade Model 42s in circulation than ever left New Haven.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
The OP was interested in value rather than history. The Blue Book gives values on 7 different grades. Each grade differs in value. Sometimes in the thousands of dollars. The starting bid is right around book value.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The OP was interested in value rather than history. The Blue Book gives values on 7 different grades. Each grade differs in value. Sometimes in the thousands of dollars. The starting bid is right around book value.
The OP also mentioned that it is a rare one. Researcher01 just stated it was a regular catalog item for 4-5 years. Anybody s guess how many they sold

1 - 20 of 30 Posts