Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a soft-recoiling gun for medical reasons (just for 3-4 months).

I have a line on a Mod 50 20ga with polychoke for a very low price (both wood and metal are in bad shape on the left side, but mechanically it is sound).

My question is what is the recoil like with these guns? I've never fired one but presume the short recoil action doesn't dampen the recoil like a gas gun would, but the weight of the all steel construction should help.

Comments?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I've found the recoil with the Model 50 to be almost non-existant. I have fired 3 high brass loads one after another, holding the gun like a handgun with one hand, just to see how much recoil their acutually is. Threw 3 clays up in the air with my left hand and fired 3 shots with a one hand hold with the right and the recoil was very, very minimal.

Now this was a few years ago when I was still quite young but I still have the gun and doubt things have changed.

Whenever I've mentioned the light recoil advantage with the Model 50, someone's always quick to talk up the Remington 1100 as the end-all in light recoil. I've fired the Remington 1100 and the recoil is considerably more than the Model 50.

But in all fairness I have not shot a 20 ga. Model 50, but would not expect a 20 ga. to be much different that the 12 ga.

The best way to tell is to fire it and see for yourself. Make certain the LOP is correct and you keep the stock uptight to your cheek. When you mount the gun; bring it up to your cheek first and then lean slightly forward into the gun keeping the butt firmly into your shoulder.

Regards:
Rod

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have a 20 ga model 50 and a 12 ga model 59 (same gun but with fiberglass barrel). Neither of my guns are equipped with a recoil pad and I have to say they are the softest shooting guns I have. I don't think there is much difference between the 20 ga and the 12 that I have. I think the design disapates the recoil better than a gas system. It takes longer to compress the spring and linkage and return to battery than it does to blow the gas through the ports and cycle a gas gun. I am sure you will enjoy the model 50. Good Luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.