Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Winchester model 59 Winlite 12 gauge, it works fine until you put more than 1 shell and shoot and then the ejected shell does not come all the way out but the new incoming shell comes under neither the retracting bolt and jams to the point disassembly is required to un-jam. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? just bought this gun used because it was my first shotgun when I was 11 and went pheasant hunting back then many times with lots of success, and had a chance to buy a used one , gun looked clean and un-abused but experiences this jamming problem only 1 more than 1 shell is loaded and appears to happen more with heavier loads than light loads but happens with both?
I have disassembled several times to un-jam and inspect for troubles? Nothing jumping out at me at this time? clean and no major wear areas that I see.?

· Registered
775 Posts
50s and 59s are pretty reliable, but 60 yrs later any number of things might be at fault.

Usually that kind of thing is the result of something impinging on the recoil of the chamber and bolt. It's far more common to find a 50 that throws the empties 20 ft than one that fails to eject them.

Strip the whole thing down and clean out any accumulated sludge. Check the extractor in particular - if you're not careful reassembling the chamber into the receiver, it's possible to damage the extractor.

If the floating chamber has any rust inside or out smooth that back out with some steel wool. A 59 should have the fiberglass barrel - should be OK, but never a bad idea to make sure the barrel is in good shape, especially where the chamber seats.

It's also always a good idea to replace the recoil spring in the stock - this is really the weak point of the design, and when they age/fail the bolt slams back and cracks the receiver. For $8 or $10 it's good preventative maintenance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.