Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is our moderator himself on a Sunday morning Quail hunt with his two best boys. I had a blast bro and those wild Quail are chillin in the fridge right now:

Jeff chasing the boys...

The three amigos...

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
5 Coveys, I think 7 birds.
Birds were not holding at all and the wind was 30mph out of the north. Nothing like a wild flushing bird coming around you at 80mph right to left with a tail wind.

By the way it was 72 degrees when I left the house at 4:30 and it was 49 degrees when I met up with Brent @ 5:15. 42 degrees when we started hunting with 30mph winds. I've got two words for you...Wind Chill.

Now for you northerners (of which I used to be) don't give me too much hell about the cold. My blood has thinned in the 15 years I've lived in TX.

Had a great time Brent and tell Gunner he's a good boy.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Jeff,

Good job! What kind of orange hat is that on top of your head??? :)

I was supposed to go deer hunting this afternoon with Bob. But, he came down with the flu. Of course, the 30 mile an hour winds would have made the deer probably stay down all day.

Scott

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I had my baseball type cap over the top of a stocking cap and the front of the stocking cap pulled over the bill of the baseball cap. Nice look huh. You can't teach that kind of style, that's just natural.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
jlptexashunter said:
I had my baseball type cap over the top of a stocking cap and the front of the stocking cap pulled over the bill of the baseball cap. Nice look huh. You can't teach that kind of style, that's just natural.
LOL Yeah, I don't think I saw any hats like that at Outdoor World yesterday. :lol:

I spent the afternoon cleaning guns. Much easier to clean guns without my wife around to ask why I need so many. :roll:

All are clean now.

Scott

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I gotta give credit where credit is due. Copper got the best point of the day in those horrible winds. That covey was absolutely huge. I just love wild birds! Now for the best shot of the day. My. Jeff got a nice right to left passing shot that was semi over-the-shoulder. Dropped that Quail like it had lead poisoning.

Cant wait till Sunday bro...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TD:
I say we get everybody that wants to go on a Quail hunt and head for Oklahoma. I have been reading that their WMAs are holding some good coveys. From DFW to Sandy Sanders WMA is a 5 hour trip. We could drive up Friday night, hunt Sat and Sun morning and jam back Sunday afternoon. Of course we could do the ironman trip. We get up at 1:00am and head north, hunt the morning and afternoon, until everybody limits or is out of shells and then roadtrip it home.

Location: Sandy Sanders WMA, 19,000 acres south of Beckham, OK

We need a rollcall of people and dogs that want to go:
- Me (Live2Hunt), Gunner (my dog), 1 4x4 truck
- Jeff (JLPTexasHunter), Copper (his dog) ???
- JonBoy94 ???
- TxGolfer ???
- (your name goes here)

·
Registered
767 Posts
I am in, just give me a heads up on the when. I have a crewcab 2wd, and could probably even get the wife's 4wd Excursion if need be. I say head up on Friday and make a weekend out of it. I do have a 34 ft 5th wheel we could sleep 6 if you don't mind doubling up. We could find somewhere close to the hunting area to park it. That would give us cheap heated lodging and a place to have a few frosty pops, and fry/grill some birds on the off hunting time.
No dog, but I BARK really well if need be! :lol:

Johnboy

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I'm in! Just can't do it this weekend. Visiting relatives. Also, can't do it the weekend of the 12th. Company Christmas party that Friday night.

Other than that, I'm definitely interested. Still need to get a deer hunting trip in too.

Scott

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys, sounds like a plan is forming. My only request is for cold weather. The dogs last longer. If we can take your trailer we might consider going even farther North so we can do a mixed bag hunt. Northern OK has Quail and Pheasant. Now that would be a blast!

Johnboy, your killin me with the cold ones and grilled birds. Man thats making my mouth water as we speak. You know of course Jeff is one heck of a good wild game cook. He has more recipies than anyone I know.

Lets see, we can sleep 6 in the trailer and we have four guys and two dogs if Jeff chimes in. We might need two more guys and 1 more dog just to fill out the trailer. You know we really should video this trip. 8) right Jeff?

Sound good so far?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Now this sounds like it could be fun. It looks like there will be a deer hunt 1st weekend of December. But any weekend after that I should be good (except Christmas weekend of course). John I've got a 25' fiver that will sleep 5 without doubling up. I could supply the trailer if you could supply the tow vehicle. I've got to leave the truck here for the wife, other car is a stick shift and she can't drive a standard. :cry: That is if I get my trailer back from the dealer soon, it's in for some warranty work. Getting a new door and roof put on.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
jlptexashunter - what do you use for thinner? Jack or Jim. hehehe Sorry couldn't resist. Nice looking boys you got there.

Hey I'd be in on some OK quail. Had a bunch up from OK last week and they said when ever I wanted to come down give them a hollar. At least we would have a good place to start. Brett (The Pro) or as everyone called him runs American Pointers and I would give anything to be able to see them in action again. :) They are from the Tulsa area. How far is that from the WMA you are talking about Live2Hunt?

You guys wouldn't be against a northern boy joining you, would you? I don't need any thinner do to living for the cold. hehehe

·
Registered
767 Posts
fishmstr said:
Now this sounds like it could be fun. It looks like there will be a deer hunt 1st weekend of December. But any weekend after that I should be good (except Christmas weekend of course). John I've got a 25' fiver that will sleep 5 without doubling up. I could supply the trailer if you could supply the tow vehicle. I've got to leave the truck here for the wife, other car is a stick shift and she can't drive a standard. :cry: That is if I get my trailer back from the dealer soon, it's in for some warranty work. Getting a new door and roof put on.
A twenty five foot 5th wheel will pull at 90 MPH behind my dually! I pulled a 36 foot with triple slides in the wind last weekend. So yeah no problem, mine is just not set up with bunks. So it is not the perfect trailer for bachelor type weekends! Now when I get the 40' diesel pusher Coach (one of these days) with the full bar and ice machine it will be a party on wheels! I will probably be too old to enjoy it but the heck it will look good in my driveway!
John

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tulsa is about 230 miles away from Sandy Sanders WMA. There aren't any pheasants at Sandy Sanders, we would need to move North for some of those...

Looks like the hardest part of this will be picking the date.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Quail, pheasants.... how about some feral hog too. We could have an awesome camp bbq after the day's hunt.

What are the licensing costs for Oklahoma???

Scott

·
Registered
94 Posts
ok two ? i what does the none readence licence cost and 2 what week end depending on the answers i might be in wife is kinda on my *** with all the deer hunting i am doing but you guy are haveing way to much fun with out me oh wait 3 when does quil sesoin end did you miss me lol

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
The Oklahoma DNR site is on the front page of this site. Someone check and let us know pricing.

Of course I'm in. Did you doubt for a second I would be anything else.

For you wondering on my thinner of choice it's Jack, but I'm not scared of a waxed top of Makers Mark either, just in case you were pondering what to get me for Christmas :shock:

I'm calling SHOTGUN RIGHT NOW on any vehicle I'm riding in.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.