Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
Does anyone else here have problems shouldering/shooting shotguns with a LOP (length of pull) of 14 1/2 to 14 3/4 or longer?? Seems like all the newer guns are built to this dimension. :shock:

I am 6', 210, medium to heavy build and from experience my optimum length is 14 to max 14 1/4 LOP. In fact I can hardly mount anything longer than that consistiently.

I recently bought a 391 Beretta (14 1/2 LOP with factory pad) and need to get the LOP down to 14 1/8-1/4 but dont want to butcher it up any more than necessary(tho it will have to be cut down 1/2-3/4" or so). Was thinking about a Beretta Gel-Tek pad -not sure if it fits the factory dowel holes as the original. I would like to stay as original as possible. Have a keek eez on my Browning Citori and was not really impressed with it's recoil reducing qualities. Any pad recommendations would be welcome too. :)

Thanks for a great forum !

Ike

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm about 5"11 and I shoot guns that have a LOP of 14and 3/4.in. without a problem. It really depends on how long your arms are.

·
Registered
20,539 Posts
Ike,

MANY people shoot guns with shorter LOP's than 14 1/2". I prefer about 14 1/4" LOP, but I'm not as big as you. It's not unusual for a stocky built person with a big chest and average to short arms to require a LOP closer to 14". I even know some short stocky guys who shoot 13 3/4" LOP.

Use whatever LOP works best for you. There is nothing macho about shooting a gun with longer LOP or longer barrel either, for that matter. This is not a contest of who has the longest.......... er, uh, .... stock. :lol: It's all about getting a gun that fits.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gents,
Thanks for all the replies. Like I said anything over 14 1/4 feels like swinging a 2x12 plank...didn't know if arms are getting longer these days prompting the longer factory stocks. For years the standard was 14-14 1/4.

Ulysses,I enjoy reading your replies-scary how our minds think alike on most things..... :shock: I shot 1100's to AA class skeet and scoffed at the overpriced aluminum Italian auto's as a rip off........BUT I got a great deal and I like the way it handles better than my Remingtons. All in all I really think I am going to enjoy this Beretta :D

Ike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.